Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

boggers in the sand. ( My report/ up date)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by great scott, Sep 15, 2003.

1. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

I am running 39.5 boggers pushed by a fairly healthy 454 and I have had good luck for the small amount of sand I have ran. But now I am headed for a weekend at the dunnes and was thinking of running the boggers backwards?

2. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Re: boggers in the sand.

What would be the incentive for running them backwards. You have plenty of power so you should be able to keep up the wheelspeed to get through the sand.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The incentive is that they're directional and they probably float better backwards.

i doubt you'd notice the difference though.

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Just air down a lot. ALOT. Did I say alot? Oh yeah, bring some plywood boards or something too. Just in case you need some traction.

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

so is a paddle tire, don't see them run backwards

6. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    so is a paddle tire, don't see them run backwards

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny that this is brought up...

Anyone who's used paddle tires knows that they suck up power like crazy.... It's easy to "over tire" yourself if you don't have a lot of power. One trick we used to do if you didn't have enough power to pull the paddles after you put them on, was to run them backwards ... In some cases, your vehicle will actually do better this way...

As far as the Bogger ?..... run them as low as you have the balls to. I think they'd behave the same forward or backwards. Even better would be a softer radial tire if one is available.

Marv

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    The incentive is that they're directional and they probably float better backwards.

[/ QUOTE ] Yep, They dig less when there on backwards so if you got plenty of power I would run them backwards. Boggers will take you to china if you hammer on it in the sand. I have seen many people put them on backwards out here in Pismo Beach, Cali.

-------------------
    85K5 3/4ton,14boltFF,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14welds, big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

8. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

aHA!!

Note to self : Turn boggers backwards for sand.

Note back from self : YOU HATE THE SAND!!!!

Note back to self : OH YAH, no wonder I don't know crap about it!!! THANKS ME!!

9. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. great scott

I think I will try them backwards maybe even try both ways see wich works best. I think I have enough HP but the radials are 285's(think all stick with the 39.5's). In the past I have ran 6 psi front/ 4 psi rear and as long as I stay on the go pedal and dont turn to sharp or stop on up hills it has done very well. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. great scott

Keep in mind that these dunes are small ( the big ones here are about 80' high ), but I ran at 6 psi front 4 psi rear and found no dune that I could not fly over the top of so I never turned them backwards /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. We had a blast /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif, so much so that I am concidering selling my suped up Polais Scambler to get more $$$ for White Trash(my K5). /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Does sand get into everything like I think it does? I would think it'd be just as bad as water as far as getting into things, and WAY more damaging.

13. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

yeah if everything isnt sealed realy well then it will go everywhere. Ive had sand and dust get sucked through my carb before. Thar scared the crap out of me /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif