Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

boggers on a dd, am i crazy?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Sep 14, 2005.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

hey there, how crazy am i for wanting to get 35" boggers for my dd? I got offroading every weekend, and during the week i only drive to school and back and maybe a lil around in town, all together prolly about 50-60 miles a week. this truck never really sees highway cept once in a while, probably once every 2-3 months. if i keep good pressure and rotate them will i be able to squeeze more than 10k miles out of them?

what do you think?

2. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

that might not be too bad.

I had some on my blzer when it was my DD, and I was driving 55 miles each way to work and back...110 miles /day

Might have been better if my AC worked, but I had to keep the windows open, and the humming really got to me. It would make me sleepy as hell.

3. spongeidys

spongeidys 1/2 ton status

i know a kid who runs 44" boggers in rear and tslsx in the front on a dd and the truck gets him just about everywhere

4. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

I'm struggling with this same question. Except mine is more of an occasional driver. I'm leaning towards not getting them though. I'll probably be going with some TSL radials instead.

5. muddybuddy

yea i love the way they look and want the performance for the weekend. i dont care about the noise, or i wouldnt even consider them for the dd. :D i figured it would be perfect cuz im in the middle of 3/4ton swap with 5.13s and a detroit. the only thing im afraid of is that with the locker it will make them wear out real fast. but maybe if i rotated them it wouldnt be too bad?

how many miles should i expect to get out of them? ive heard 10k. if i take care of them and rotate and such, what can i hope for?

thanks

6. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

i had 35 boggers on my 73' when i first got it and if your rig is not nice and tight the rattling will drive ya crazy. i have bought Dirt Grips since to run but when i am done building the blazer i still might run a set of AT's for street and swap to my 38 DG's when going offroad. just my .02 cents.

7. JeffHK5

JeffHK5 1/2 ton status

Ran 35" Boggers on a CJ back before I knew that Jeeps sucked " :haha: " and found that I was wishing they would wear out at a faster rate! Flat out sucked on the road in snow and rain! They look cool on sunny days but loose there luster on cold snowy mornings :mad:

Just my 2 cents

Jeff

8. muddybuddy

well i know a guy that sells tires and i have the chance to get ahold of a brand new set of 4 35x14.50 for $780, and 4wheelparts sells a set of 4 for $900. thats another factor thats tempting me to the fullest. are they really that bad on wet roads and snow?

9. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

um..... yeah... about that..... :haha: they are made for mud/off road. tires that are good in rain and snow are like bfg at's more tread to ground with siping ;) :waytogo:

10. JeffHK5

JeffHK5 1/2 ton status

I'm sure there will be a bunch of guys that will say " there great on snow" and that i'm a "wuss" , but they ain't too good in my book on slick ground.

Any tire that cleans as good as Boggers do can't be good on snow and wet roads.

Don't know how much snow you get in Va. but in Ohio Boggers and a locker in the white stuff made for an un-fun (?) drive.

When I was young a 15 mile fishtail was cool but it don't look too smart now ;)

Jeff

I think the fact that CK5 has worldwide input on subjects that are kind of "location oriented" makes for varied views, like why would a guy like me care about tire flotation in sand, but if I was in Ca. or Az. it would be a whole nother thing. ;)

11. muddybuddy

i can also get 36" irok radials for $790, i guess ill prolly go that route with all the bad talk of boggers for a dd :( . at least ill still have swampers :D

12. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

id go with the iroks, i just picked up a set of 39.5's, my buddy ran them on his truck and sed they do awsome on everything

13. oldtoyboyd

oldtoyboyd 1/2 ton status

I ran Boggers on my 73 K5 daily driver for 4 years. I never had that bad of a time in the rain. I didn't drive bad in the rain because they weren't the most friendly tires, but they are not designed for that. The only reason I don't have them on it was I sold it and but them back on my 86 K5 play toy. I am looking for a Burb do to a groing family and will run them on that as well. The only advise on tire life of a daily driver is that the 14.50 recomends a 10 inch wheel. They need to be on a 12 inch wheel or the centers will wear out fast. This coming from trial and error. My first set I ever owned were on 10 inch wheels and they wore the centers fast. The last set on 12 inch wheels are still in good shape after 4 years. Here in MS i can't tell you anything about snow though.

Daniel

14. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

IROKS seem to work well everywhere. But Boggers are the king of mud next to tractor tires. They're just so...bad...and...mean! They're fine on the street long as you run wheels wide enough. They hurt mileage considerably. I'm in California. No ice/snow for me. I had mine on a 7400 pound Dodge Diesel 4x4 and they were only 33s. So I had very good contact pressure, and rain driving was not a problem. Nothing cooler than a straight-piped Cummins and Boggers roaring down the street :D

15. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

What kind of truck was that on. 44" boggers in the rear and the biggest sx is only 38", that would look :eek1: :haha: Was this a 2wd? He would have to run different gears or the tc would explode in 4wd.

16. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

nuh-uh

17. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

boggers in the rear and another tire up front seems to be pretty popular around here.

espcially if it's 1/2 or 3/4 -- once a bogger grabs something, your axle is toast.

at least if you have 14bff in the rear, you're good to go.

aside from those issues, the mileage lack of mileage out of those tires gets old really fast.

18. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Boggers are alotta money (especially for a high schooler), just to leave all that rubber on the asphalt. I'd get a set of tires for the street, and swap to boggers when you know you're going off-roading.

19. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Not a bad idea.

20. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

I think having a set of "off-road only" tires is a great idea, but swapping tires everytime gets old. ya just end up leaving them on thinking "i'll take them off tomorrow" -- next thing you know, you're wheeling again, etc.

if you have the motivation to swap tires every weekend, although not a hard job at all, just a pain in the ass... go with that idea.