Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Boggers on highway?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sodfarmer, Oct 9, 2005.

1. sodfarmer

sodfarmer Registered Member

I'm looking for some real world experience here. How bad are boggers on the highway. I love how they look and offroad they have to rule, but are they awful on the road. My suburban is just a play toy, in reality I may drive it twice a month (obviously more after I lift it and put big tires on it). The size I want to run are 38.5/11/16.

How are Radial swampers compared to boggers?

Thanks, Breton

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

boggers = LOUD on the highway. and that size is kind of skinny for any real high speed turns od panik stuff on the highway. also the highway will kill the tread quick on boggers.

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Lemme put it this way, I have a single chamber muffler and at 60 mph I have to put it in neutral and rev the engine to about 5 grand before I can hear it over the tires...nuf said.

4. sodfarmer

Thanks for the replies. I figured they would be loud, but how do they handle? Are they prone to wander bounce, etc. My friend had some grip spur tires that were bias ply and they wandered all over the road and I wonder if these will do the same. Also how many miles do you get out of a set?

Thanks

5. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

Boggers aren't cheap to be wearing them down on pavement when you want them for the mud and such. I barrow a set of 39.5s from a friend when we go mud bogging and I've taken my truck down back country roads to get gas, only about 30mph and they really hum, I couldn't imagine at 60. A friend of mine had 39.5s on his 2001 powerstroke and at 35 you couldn't hear that diesel at all. But if you've got a good quite rig inside with a stereo and you don't mind highway wear on them, they are awesome off pavement :bow:

6. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

I run 44" boggers on my :burb: . I can't hear the tires over the motor :haha:

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Only if you had open pipes running into the cab. :D

8. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

like sh!t

they do not run well at all at highway speeds

9. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I have to agree, they vibrate abd handle like **** and they are loud. If you are into mud they are awesome but since I am not I am not buying boggers again when mine wear out.

10. badfish4tail

badfish4tail 1/2 ton status

I so agree, I am running 35's and I can barely here my radio at highway speed's....My friends and family always know when i am coming over :D
    Can here me coming from down the street :p:
    But they do wear fast on pavement :mad:

11. GMC

GMC 1/2 ton status

I have 38.5x11x15" Boggers on my Blazer and they ride good on the street. They are loud, but I love it. I have 39.5 TSL's on my truck and they ride better than those. I've also had 38" SX's, 38" TSL Radials to compare them to. I think being narrow helps them ride better that the wider Swampers. My Blazer is my toy also like you mentioned your Suburban is so limited driving on the street I haven't noticed anymore wear than all the other Swampers I've owned. Now if you step up to the 39.5x18" Bogger that tire is huge compared to the 38" Bogger and you might have some issuses running that on the street.

12. sodfarmer

Gmc,
    So If you had your choice of all the tires you have run for a street/trail machine, what would you choose?

13. Tenpack

Tenpack Registered Member

ever considering ground-hawgs? They have a harder compound than the boggers, and work still pretty decent. They do hum and all that, and they also get tricky to drive in when its wet with a locker, but thats a given.

14. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

my friend has 37x13 boggers and he drives its about 5 days a week on a 01' 2500hd duramax and he has 15k on the tires and they are about done from what they originally were, he has maybe 5k left for them.

15. sodfarmer

I know boggers are noisy and they wear fast, but how do they handle? Are the prone to follow ruts, do they wander etc? :doah:

16. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ok, my experience is highly unusual by most of the board members standards, so take it with a grain of salt. I run the 39" boggers and there was a couple weeks in between the truck being mostly finished and my trailer being delivered...so it got run on the highway a little (mostly after sunset in between two other vehicles :p: ) but anyways, the noise was ungodly loud, but they tracked pretty well for a tire that size. Yes, they wandered a bit but I think that was mostly the steering (much better now with hydro assist) and even without balancing didn't wobble hardly at all. I def. would not want them on a DD for a variety of factors, but for highway running for short periods of time, they aren't all that bad. Most people running tires that size have a much different experience, so don't base your decision solely off of one experience.

17. GMC

GMC 1/2 ton status

For looks I would choose the Bogger and if you run a lot of mud. If it was a 38" tire I had to choose for what your doing I'd say the TSL or SX. The Bogger and Radial TSL are small 38's compared to the other two and the Radial is more money.

18. mciahpv

mciahpv Registered Member

Tenpack said it earlier -- GROUND HAWGS Everyone is so fixated on the Bogger (which does do extremely well in the mud) that they overlook the Hawg. IMO, you will not find a better tire in terms of both on and off-road performance than the Ground Hawg. I used to have a set of 38" Radials which rode better than my factory tires. Eventually upgraded to the 44" bias, which are a little bumpy when cold, but ride very nicely once they heat up. Oh, and they pull like mad in the mud.

If your rig is strictly for mud (i.e. trailered back and forth to the local mud bogs), then the Bogger is your tire. Anything else approaching street use, trust me, you want a Ground Hawg.

19. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

The problem with Ground Hawgs is the price- Bias Boggers only run $215 a piece, bias Hawgs are $270 for the same size. Boggers hands down.
    In putting mine on, I noticed they tracked much better than my old bias tires on 16.5 rims, so that's impressive. The balancing from 4 wheel parts wasn't that great though.

20. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

I agree for the most part mine don't seem too loud, but I like loud I have straight pipes with headers. I drove my 38x11's for daily driving and they were great, when I switched to the 39.5's they were just as good I drive 45 mins at 65 to the trail sometimes and it doesn't bother me at all. As for wear I must be special since I got 20,000 miles out of my 38's and I sold them at 1/2 tread for 400$ I got 8,000 on my 39.5's and they don't look much worse then when I got them at 95% tread left! My next set of tires will be 44 boggers and they are the only tire I will run now!