Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Boggers on the streets ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

After I save up for some real tires, I'm thinking about some Superswamper Boggers. Has anyone ran them on a Daily Driver ?? How do they wear on the streets ??? How do they handle for a DD ??? For right now, I'm just getting some cheap tires. But next spring I'll be stepping up to 37" tires. I really love the look of the boggers. But this a daily driver.

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I had a friend with an f350 on 44" boggers. He said it wasn't bad as long as he watched the air pressure VERY carefully and rotated them. I forget the mileage figure he said he got out of a set, but it was surely a lot more than I would have figured. To top it off, he drove the truck a lot on the highway, 70 - 80 mph, like an hour each way to work.
    Just the same, I don't think I'd go boggers for DD.
    -- Mike

3. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

They wear horribly (10,000 miles maybe), are LOUD, wander, flat spot...basically they suck on the street. I have tolerated it on a seldom-driven rig (for the OOOOHHHHHHH factor), but would never have em on a daily driver. You'll replace them once a year at least.

4. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

My brother got 8K out of his and they were BALD!

5. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

A guy I run with put 44" Boggers on the street when his trail rig had to become a daily driver for a while. His only complaint was they rattled just about everything loose on the 78 Blazer they where on about every other week. The space between the tread on a 37" won't be quite as much as a 44" so it may not be that bad, but I would agree with the others and say the wear would keep me from putting them on a DD.

6. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">Boggers are the last tire you should run on a daily driver /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Go with some MT/R's or BFG's, they're good tires and will last more than 2 oil changes /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Seriously though, a guy in my club used to run them, you could actually see little bits of rubber flying off if you were next to him on the highway. He loves them in the woods and got another set, but he also got a trailer too.

7. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

I am running the 39.5 boggers on mine and they handle better then I expected, not bad at all. The flat spots in the morning suck and I dont dd it as much with the boggers because they wear so bad and cost so much. bottom line I am now runing used 285 MTR's on the street, but I dont regret my choice, the boggers may be the on road nightmair but they are the off road day dream!!!

8. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

I've been told that they are real soft when new and if you can wait on them to cure for a few months then they dont wear as bad. New ones without curing will be gone in 10,000 miles... FWIW..

9. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

i run 38.5 boggers on my BBK5 and have about 12,000 and about 50% tread and still drive it daily!!!!!

10. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

They're definitely loud...I forgot how loud they were up until yesterday when I drove on my 39.5's again. Even 25-30 mph and it sounds like an airplane. Real bouncy at slow speeds. Stopping and starting at lights I just about feel every lug. Rattles everything in the cab. Lug nuts have to be real tight and checked often.

I definitely don't want to drive on them every day all the time, but I dont mind once in a while. I just want to save the tread for the stuff they were made for. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't get boggers for the street. But hey, thats just me.

12. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

They sound AWESOME!! My friend has 39.5's on his blazer and they have lasted a while, but mu buddy with 33's and IFS, well his went completle BALD within about 3 months, but he didnt check tire pressure and drove sort of bad.

13. Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson Registered Member

I would say it has a lot to do with how much your rig weighs,
    the heaveir your truck, the faster they will wear. I would save your money
    and get the boggers, but I would also get a spare set of wheels and use them for trail use only....
    unless you have got money to burn. If I were rich, I would run boggers for a DD,
    BUT I'm not rich.

14. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

I have had a set of boggers and bias ply MT claws on a previous truck (coughbroncocough) I drove daily and I hated it. Like others said, it shakes everything loose and the noise is deafening. I felt like I was driving a track hoe to work. You can feel every slap of the lugs on the pavement. I hope your rich, because $1,000.00 two to three times a year is what it'll take to keep your truck on the road if you drive an average amount.

After two sets of tires in less than a year, I finally listened to what people were telling me and bought a set of TSL's. They are still noisy and they still vibrate, although not nearly as bad as the boggers. Plus, if you keep high pressure in them on the street and rotate religously, you should easily get 20,000 miles out of them. Depending on the tire size you want, you can purchase a set of TSL radials and get even better mileage out of them.

Hope this helps,

Lance

15. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

They look kick ass but the directional tread might be a problem. working at a tire store before and from personal experience I have noticed mud tires obviously cup (trailing edge of tread block wears out more than leading edge) worse than other tires. the only way to reverse this is to run the tires backwards, cross rotate them, but you wouldnt be able to do that with boggers. Even my 35" bfgs started to cup a bit but cross rotating them stopped that.