Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Boggers or SSR's ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MaxCrack, Aug 14, 2001.

1. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Boggers or SSR\'s ?

I have the money, well, most of it any way...for my tires. I want either 37/13x16 Boggers or the new 37/12.50R16 10ply Radial SSRs.

The rig will will be used mostly on the trail since my commute is 10 minutes on my bicycle, and in a variety of terrains (mud, rocks, hill climbs, etc) but I usually drive quite a ways to the trail. I think if the on road handling is not too much different then I want the Boggers, but if they are really bad I'll go with the SSR's.

What do you guys think?

Hey my name is orange...woohoo.
    Good things come in small packages. Good things come to those who wait. So, if you're waiting for a small package, that must *really* be sweet.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by MaxCrack on 08/14/01 02:56 PM.</FONT></P>

2. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Re: Boggers or SSR\'s ?

BOGGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Doug Krebs

3. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

Boggers rule!!!!!!!

A softer rubber so they will out faster on pavement but they still rule !!!!

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.whiteknight.scriptmania.com/>http://www.whiteknight.scriptma
    nia.com
    </a>

4. ScoobyDann

ScoobyDann 1/2 ton status

El Paso, TX (Far West Texas near Las Cruses

i love my boggers, i also make long trips to the trail, and also only use the truck for the trail and thy have held up well. on the longer trips the howl of the boggers might put you to sleep and you cant hear the radio over them either so make sure you have something to keep you awake

Hut in the well is goin on in here?

sun desert offroad <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I would say if your like me and drive for hours one way just to get to the trail head then SSRs are for you. If you trailer your rig to the trail head Buggers are for you.

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

6. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

man, that's two extremes. There is a BIG difference between the two on the road, but if you don't mind the ill handling to and from the trail get the boggers. The boggers are gonna hold up better under trail abuse, but not on the road. Also, the 10 ply SSR's are only 8ply, but they have a 10 ply rating for load carrying, if I understood that right. I've got the 36x12.5x16 TSL Radials. They are nice on the road and so far in the limited offroad testing, they have done GREAT. The choice though is ultimatley yours. You may be able to live with the boggers on the road since you don't drive much and honestly, they sound like the ones you want anyway. [​IMG]

Kyle
    89K5

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

compromise, get the 38x12.50x15 SX. It's a rebadged 37x13 so it's in the same class. More road friendly than boggers and a lot tougher than SSRs. And cheaper than either one. That's what I'm getting.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>Come Awn yall...Let's go to LUCHENBACH, TEXAS!!!
    </font color=red>

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

compromise, get the 38x12.50x15 SX. It's a rebadged 37x13 so it's in the same class. More road friendly than boggers and a lot tougher than SSRs. And cheaper than either one. That's what I'm getting for my next set.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>Come Awn yall...Let's go to LUCHENBACH, TEXAS!!!
    </font color=red>

9. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.

Bogger's !

10. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Buyer beware!!!!!..................................

11. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Sorry Ex, had to say it[​IMG], just messin' with ya!

12. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Boggers
    Boggers
    Boggers
    Boggers
    Boggers
    Boggers
    Boggers
    Boggers
    Boggers
    Boggers
    Boggers
    Boggers
    Boggers
    Boggers
    Boggers
    Boggers
    Boggers
    Boggers
    Boggers
    Boggers
    Boggers
    Get the hint?
    Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

13. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I second what Laketex has to say. I think the boggers would just be too loud on the hwy. And for the trail it toughness of the SX would be nice to have.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

14. Adrock

Adrock 1/2 ton status

laketex said that the 38 inch SXs were cheaper than both the SSRs and Boggers. but on <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tyres1.com>www.tyres1.com</a> the SXs are 210 for the 38/12.5, and the 37 inch SSRs are only 195. i had the SXs and loved them, but they were crummy on road. i went through the same situation as you. i borrowed my friends 37 inch boggers for a week and they were worse on road than the SX(obviously), but i borrowed them to see if i could deal with them on a daily basis. since i do about 50/50 driving. but i couldnt deal with the squirelly characteristics of the boggers. so i bought the SSRs and they are my favorite tires by far. atleast till the baja claw radials come out in larger sizes. but i have the SSRs now and wont give them up for anything less than the radial claws(i have some deranged fixation with mickey thompson, i've run them on my camaro for so long and have always loved them). I dont drive to work very far(10 miles both ways), but the good trails are AT LEAST 30 minutes away. i would highly recomend the SSRs if you have to drive good distances to trails than use it for a daily driver. and its not like you have to make a huge compromise, these tires kick ass off road too. i mean they are swampers... guess i'm just sayin if its a daily driver or the trails are a ways away, go with the SSRs. but if you dont care about the noise, or ride of the boggers, i would definatelty recommend them. sorry for ramblin. hope it helps.

Adam
    a.k.a. Adrock
    88 Chevy Blazer FI 383
    "With great power there must also come great responsibility" -Spiderman
    "Juggernaut Smash" -Juggernaut

15. jamiemac

jamiemac 1/2 ton status

Man,I have personally had both also. The SSR is a great road tire. But,then again are we building a pavement pounder or do you want a truck that wheels like hell!!!!! My SSR's were about 3 months old, they had to go!!!!! I am on my second set of Boggers now and I love them. I got roughly 12,000 miles out of my first set. 35x14.50x15.And sold them all four for about $250.00. Now I have purchased the 37x13x15 boggers and I like them even better. If roadware is really a problem just do what I did buy a little POS to drive every day. I got mine for a about 400 bucks. Well thats just my .02 worth.

jamiemac
    P.S. If they aren't noisy, it's just not as cool........

88 Jimmy,5.7L,4" lift,3"body,37" Boggers,15x12 mods,4:88,D44 welded front,14FF Rear,With detroit and disc conversion.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by jamiemac on 08/14/01 07:50 PM.</FONT></P>

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Get the Boggers. You're only driving it a little ways to the trail, then they'll really shine. If it was a daily driver, I'd say get SSRs, but if you take a bike to work, definitely, without a question, the Boggers.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

17. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

18. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I've got 35x14 Boggers on my daily rig. I drive about 30 miles a day and they handle well on the road IF they are balanced properly. They do wear out fast if they see pavement a lot. But you can't beat the traction of an aired down Bogger on the trails. As for the sound... get a louder stereo! I personally love the sound.

Rod
    Alameda, CA
    85 K5 6"ProComp 35"Boggers... and it's still not BIG ENOUGH!!

19. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.

Cool !
    garrenttied or your money back, ya right
    protect your investment, get it in writing, word of mouth NOT !