Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Boggers suck when you have to do that thing called turning...what to do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rjfguitar, Dec 26, 2003.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

So I was wheeling in some sloppy shallow mud today... not the kind of mud that I usually get into that is 6" to 12" deep. This mud was just greasy and slippery, the kind where you can run in 2wd if you have a locker, agressive rubber, and keep up your mommentum and you just slide around and do dohnuts in. My problem started when I almost hit a fence today because I cranked the wheel and hammerd on it to do a 180 and to my suprise I went strait and right towards the fence(no, I didn't hit it).
    What the f&$k is the deal with boggers in shallow mud? I have heard about bad lateral traction but...damn. I couldn't hardly turn at all in the sloppy stuff. I never have really had a problem before because I am usually in deep enough mud that the fronts work almost like ruders.
    I can see why some guys go TSL's in the front and boggers in the back.

My question is what have some of you guys done to deal with the crappy lateral turning? Any throttle or brake tricks? How about grooving... how have some of you guys grooved them for better lateral traction?
    thanks.

2. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Bowtie grooved his...
    [​IMG]

3. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

damn ,that looks cool. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

was it grassy? the worst i was ever in was a field of grass and it was like driving in a frying pan full of grease.my friend and i both had 40's and we barely made it> /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

my guess is hammering on it with a locker on slippery goo is what did you in, spinning both rear tires at the same speed made for some serious unidirectional movement and not much else..

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The solution is to use Swampers up front and spin your tires harder.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    my guess is hammering on it with a locker on slippery goo is what did you in, spinning both rear tires at the same speed made for some serious unidirectional movement and not much else..

[/ QUOTE ]

He has a Gov-loc, which is essentially like having nothing at all except when you least expect it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

The grooving on the boggers make them slide sideways real easy. when you had the wheels cranked they must have been sidways enough that they didnt grab good.

I ran TSL's on the front sometimes just because it was easier on the front drivetrain. If I knew that I was getting into good mud, I ran boggers all around.

Locked in 4 wheel, nothing beat the boggers for real mud. they just plain worked.

9. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

Also skinnier wheels and more backspacing.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

were the tires turning when you cranked the wheel? when I had a 10 bolt with normal non-x-over steering in my rig, once the drivers side drooped a bit, turning the steering wheel didnt do crap. Maybe your drivers side tire hit a lil hole and that did in your steering geometry in a similar way? Not very probable in the kinda mud you're talking about, but ya never know. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

11. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I wonder if your tires were not plugged with Mud when you went to turn? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    were the tires turning when you cranked the wheel? when I had a 10 bolt with normal non-x-over steering in my rig, once the drivers side drooped a bit, turning the steering wheel didnt do crap. Maybe your drivers side tire hit a lil hole and that did in your steering geometry in a similar way? Not very probable in the kinda mud you're talking about, but ya never know. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

[/ QUOTE ]
    I don't think it was my steering setup because the ground was all flat, I had the wheel cranked, and the tires were turned, just sliding. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

13. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    ah quit, Just because you don't like what I have (which is much more than you have, so you shouldn't be talking anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif) doesn't mean you should make stupid comments that don't contribute to solve the problem that I asked. No one cares, espcially me, if you do or don't like "wider wheels with less backspacing." /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

14. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    ah quit, Just because you don't like what I have (which is much more than you have, so you shouldn't be talking anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif) doesn't mean you should make stupid comments that don't contribute to solve the problem that I asked. No one cares, espcially me, if you do or don't like "wider wheels with less backspacing." /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i hadnt even realized that scample was making posts still.. anyways maybe a skinnier TIRE is in order, like a tsl or something.. maybe X-Terrains or MT/Rs? just a couple suggestions, is the front open or locked? were you in 2wd or 4??

15. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    The grooving on the boggers make them slide sideways real easy. when you had the wheels cranked they must have been sidways enough that they didnt grab good.

I ran TSL's on the front sometimes just because it was easier on the front drivetrain. If I knew that I was getting into good mud, I ran boggers all around.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Maybe, I moved the steering a lot from barelly turning to sharp a few times when I was sliding and it didn't seem to make a differencce. I have talked to Tim about running TSL's in the front once and I think it is a very good idea that I just may try. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I agree about the good mud thing... they are awesome when it's deep but I was just there were I was at and thought "what the hell, I'll go spin some dohnuts in the shallow stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Locked in 4 wheel, nothing beat the boggers for real mud. they just plain worked.

[/ QUOTE ]
    yep, they are sweet hammered down in a foot of mud. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]

i hadnt even realized that scample was making posts still.. anyways maybe a skinnier TIRE is in order, like a tsl or something.. maybe X-Terrains or MT/Rs? just a couple suggestions, is the front open or locked? were you in 2wd or 4??

[/ QUOTE ]
    He ran his mouth with me once about how dumb he thought my wheels were and that I must get rid of them...bahhaha /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif He was just making an inside shot that didn't have to do anything with my question. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif The funny thing is that he shouldn't run his mouth because look at what he drives, nothing that impresses me.

anyway, I have an open front 10B and I was in 2wd and I tried using 4wd to see if it helped but it didn't really.
    I was thinking I might put a 35x15TSL or 35x15.50 SX up front. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

17. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I ran the swampers tsls on my old blazer then got a set of 33/14.50 boggers.I tested between both sets and found the boggers sucked when going anywhere but straight.I tried running the swampers in front and boggers in the rear.It worked better.But I ended up selling off the boggers.And keeping the swampers.I think part of the problem is the width.The skinny 38/11.50s seem to work better turning.

I think what was happening to you was you were in 2wd and the front tires were not cleaning themselves out.In 4wd it might have been better.

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

As much as I hate boggers, I certainly wouldn't mind owning a set to test out with having them on the front and swampers in the rear and vice versa.

19. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    I think what was happening to you was you were in 2wd and the front tires were not cleaning themselves out.In 4wd it might have been better.

[/ QUOTE ]
    The more I think about it the more I agree. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

20. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    As much as I hate boggers, I certainly wouldn't mind owning a set to test out with having them on the front and swampers in the rear and vice versa.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hate is a very strong word but I don't blame you with your mostly trail wheeling, I would run TSL's too. Boggers are the cats meow when doing the deep goo strait on and racing though it. They require more HP than probably any other tire though. I just wish they turned better. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif