Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BOGGERS... what kind of mileage?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rjfguitar, Sep 12, 2003.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a set of 35x16x16.5 boggers mounted on 16.5x14 weld scorpio V's and I am curious what kind of mileage other guys have gotten out of their boggers. I have 3/4ton running gear and am weighing around 5,000 to 5,500lbs (guess). I don't drive supid on the street either curious what similar rigs are getting for mileage on the street out of a set, I am hoping between 15,000 to 20,000 miles for me.

-------------------
    85K5 3/4ton,14boltFF,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14welds, big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> You just keep on hoping for that kind of mileage... I think you'll be lucky to squeeze 12,000 out of them with the way the roads are in CA. </font>

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

is your rear locked?

Ive had my swampers on the front of my rig for over a year and ive had the boggers on the rear for since about april or may... and the Boggers are Catching up to the swampers i think they will wear out before the swampers do...

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The way I look at it for mud tires, there is no reason at all to run them on the road. The more you do and the shallower the tread gets, the less it works. They might not be worn out, but they don't work near as good at 1/2 tread as they do with no road miles.

5. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

The only Interco tires I've seen wear well are TSL SXs and they're still only getting around 12,000 miles.

I don't run my mud tires on the street much (around 900 miles so far) but they're all cut up from the 100 or so miles of offroad use they've gotten. I figure I'll have them all falling apart before they wear out. I'm pretty hard on tires (I have a hard time not lighting them up for the fun of it) so I swap them all the time.

6. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am hoping between 15,000 to 20,000 miles for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif you'll be lucky to get 10,000 miles out thems

7. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    there is no reason at all to run them on the road.

[/ QUOTE ] Ya ya, argued about this before. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. rjfguitar

Well, I have a buddy with a 71 K20 and he got about 17,000 out of his boggers and they were the same size with the same exact rim as me. I know another guy with a stupid jeep(I HATE JEEPS /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif) and he got 25,000 out of his 35x16, still cant believe that 4 banger could even turn them down the road /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. I relize its much lighter than a 3/4ton k5 but it's still not bad. I managed over 40,000 miles out of my old 33x14.50x15 SSR's. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

They wear great - they just keep wearing and wearing and wearing. Heck, I've stared at them in the driveway and watched them wear down without even moving! I've got 12k on my 38" TSLs - they are beyond groovable and hydroplane on the slightest puddle!

10. rjfguitar

From what I've seen and heard TSL's and SX's don't really last any longer than the bogger.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Ya ya, argued about this before. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You've missed my point. My point is, say they last 20,000 miles before they're bald during road use. If you use them 10,000 miles, the tread is half the depth that it was when they were new. They won't give near the grip that they would when new, but they're not completely worn out yet.

If you keep them off the road and at full tread depth, they'll work GREAT for a very long time.

If/when I buy a new set of Swampers, the only road use they will see is from my house to the trail, less than 4 miles each way. I'll buy a crappy set of old tires to burn up on the road.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, I have a buddy with a 71 K20 and he got about 17,000 out of his boggers and they were the same size with the same exact rim as me. I know another guy with a stupid jeep(I HATE JEEPS /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif) and he got 25,000 out of his 35x16, still cant believe that 4 banger could even turn them down the road /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. I relize its much lighter than a 3/4ton k5 but it's still not bad. I managed over 40,000 miles out of my old 33x14.50x15 SSR's. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

So, um, why are you asking if you already know the experiences of 2 people? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Apparantly you think they'll last longer than anyone that's posted here says...

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A couple years back I picked up a used set of 36" TSL's. They had no more than 30% tread left on the best tire, but i got them fairly cheap.

Firstly, even with the reduced amount of tread those tires really hooked off road.

Secondly, I put 13,000 more miles on them and just recently grooved out the wear bars for the last 1/4" of tread. I think the type of pavement you spend most of your time driving on plus the average temps all contribute to tire wear. Typically we have wet pavement and mild temps most of the year which could be why I got the mileage out of those tires...

We'll see how the new 40's do I guess.

Rene

14. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]

So, um, why are you asking if you already know the experiences of 2 people? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Apparantly you think they'll last longer than anyone that's posted here says...

[/ QUOTE ] Jeeps are very different than K5's, I wanted someone's advise that have HAD boggers that are/were around the same size as mine under a truck like mine.

15. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    You've missed my point.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I get your point, I just am not worried much about tread depth when they are off road because they are eventually going to wear out on or offroad anyway and that is just a con of all offroad tires. that is just part of 4wheeling and tire wear.

16. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> A buddy of mine had 38" Boggers on a 79 K10 with 3/4 ton axles. They lasted 10,000 miles, mostly on the road, being rotated every couple thousand miles. They were bald as a baby's butt when he retired them.</font>

17. rjfguitar

thanks for the info, looks like I will need new rubber in a year, do you think it makes a difference with a wider tire, probably not. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

18. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> A wider tire distributes the weight better but will scrub more when you turn, so it's probably a crapshoot. At least they'll look real cool while they last. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif My only advice is to rotate them often and maintain inflation pressures religiously once you figure out the perfect pressure. </font>

19. rjfguitar

That is what I'm doing, they are freakin' heavy, pain in the ass to rotate but I do it. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Yep they sure look good! better take plenty of pictures because I will probably go with something different next time around. What tires catch your eye that would fit on a 14" wide wheel and not be bigger than 36". /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I kind of like the fun country 36x16.5 but I don't really like the round balloon look. You can probably tell I like that sharp, agressive, square look. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Plus I am mostly in mud and from what I've read no one gets too excited about their mud performance. what do you think?

20. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yeah, Fun Countrys are bad, Mmmkay? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Any tire that splits down the middle is bad juju. Honestly I'd have to say to go with Ground Haws next time around. They aren't the most aggresive looking tire around, but when you consider that they'll last you an easy 40k miles if you rotate them regularly, it's easy to give up a little bit of looks. I forget exactly what sizes they come in, but I'm pretty sure that a 36x14.5 is available. </font>