Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bogging out when the secondaries open...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PhoenixZorn, Oct 27, 2005.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

my 70 k5 has been acting a bit strange, in that when i am rolling along and punch the pedal to let her breathe, she stops breathing all together... if i continue holding the pedal down, it eventually catches up with itself, and i am put in my chair with a quickness, but it's taking too long from pedal stomp to accelleration for it to be working properly.

i haven't done any tuning of any sort on the carb, but my air cleaner cover is flipped over for a bit more air intake over the stock mini tube on the 350. other than that, everything on it is stock, and i don't know where to go from here on getting it to work properly. of course, this only happens while driving, not while standing still, as the secondaries will not open when the truck is in park.

2. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

What kind of carb are we talking here? Does it do this when you gradually accelerate and get into the secondarys or only when you stomp on it?

3. 350k5

350k5 1/2 ton status

Sounds bassicly like a carb adjustment issue. Like when you stomp on it the engine just floods and takes a second to catch up to all that fuel being dumped in.

4. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

It's usually the other way around. That is why there is a squirter to compensate for the lean condition created when you open the throttle plates.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Q-jet carb??

Quadrajet carbs get the nickname "Quadra -BOG" because often the air valve adjustment is too tight or too loose,and allows it to open too early or late for proper response to the secondary barrels..it could be a weak accelerator pump or low fuel pressure causing it too..remember,ANY carb will never respond as quickly to flooring it as a vehicle with EFI will..SOME delay is normal..

With the way gas costs now,what are you doing flooring it anyway! --GET THAT FOOT OUT OF THE SECONDARIES!!.. :tongue1: :rotfl: :rotfl: :haha:

6. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

That often indicates the seconderys are opening to quickly, but carb tuning can be such a p i t a 'cause both rich or lean at different throttle positions can have the same symptom. Have fun.

7. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Have someone follow you. Floor it, kand have them report what color the smoke is. If it is really black, the secondaries are opening too soon, flooding the engine.