Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bolt broke off in valve cover screw hole, went to drill and...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by twiztid420, Apr 9, 2001.

1. twiztid420

twiztid420 Newbie

I was drilling to get the screw out, and I went through the screw and antifreeze started spewing out, how is this possible, what did I do, can I fix it or am I screwed?

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Well there are paths in your heads that allow coolant to flow through them. Like if you removed that back bolt that holds a bracket from the brake booster cable by the distributor on top the intake manifold then coolant would come out because its in of those paths. Your probably went to far one way and entered one of those paths. I would definately take it to a machine shop to get it fixed. It could be minor and they can fix it with the head still on the motor. If things are really screwy then you would have to remove the intake manifold and take the head off to have things fixed up. Hmm, this sounds like a good excuse to lay down a grand and get some edelbrock heads. Well you'll have the intake manifold off so better get and Edelbrock one too. Oh, wait a minute you'll have access to the lifters to, hmm take the front off and drop an Iskederian Cam.

[​IMG]

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you are SOL! Sorry to say, but take the head of and see what the machine shop has to say... Otherwise as Blazerboy said... maybe time to upgrade. Sorry to hear of the mishap [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

4. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Have someone look at it if all you did was drill into a cooling passage.Then you could try tapping the hole all the way down.and siliconing a set screw down in about a 1/2 inch.Then your valve cover bolt would go on top.Just a thought.

5. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

we did something kinda like this on my buddys toy it striped one of the bolts in teh front aluimn(sp) houseing so we drilled and taped it but went to far and got into the cooling system (opps!!) so we just silcone the [censored] out of the bolt hasnt leaked yet its only been 2 weeks but leaks

Bandit
    (Your right i dont understand the jeep thing)

6. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

You can POSSIBLY get away with using a slightly longer bolt (like 1/4-20 x 1") with lots of anti-sieze. But your best bet would be to let the machine shop figure out a plan of attack.

[​IMG]

7. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Use jb weld and put in a stud.

8. 89Blazin

89Blazin 1/2 ton status

Remember when you put it back together....around 3-5 ft. lbs is all the valve cover bolts should see.....

85 Burb and an 89 Blazer
    One just for fun, one simply for pleazer

9. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

i agree with Bigd.
    one of my friends had a jeep with a horrible valve cover leak, when we were replacing the cover we noticed one of the bolts was pretty stripped, so we redrilled and tapped, and suddenly there was green stuff everywhere. anyhow we cleaned it out,made sure nothing got into the coolant jacket, siliconed the crap out of the bolt, and it hasn't leaked since.