Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bolt head loading on Rock stomper bead locks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cybrfire, Jan 2, 2003.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Has anyone had a problem with this? Why not put a spacer between the two rings to keep the lock ring from coning in when torqued? I'm just about to order one and check it out was curious if anybody else had problems with that uneven head loading.

2. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I don't know about Rock Stompers but my trail ready's are onlt torqued to 10 lbs. How much do the stompers require?

3. cybrfire

10-20 lbs. torque. Not enough to break a bolt head off but, Are yours loading evenly on the head?

4. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    No, but mine are only at 10 LBS. and there is a lot of them on each wheel. You can compare rims by looking at my pictures here -
    Beadlock mounting
    Maybe the stompers have less bolts?

5. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the pics of the install. Those look great!

6. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I have a set of beadlocks which I designed off the rockstomper design. I had a fabricator build mine after I drew them in AutoCAD. Mine have 32 Bolts which are 3/8" and countersunk. Countersinking gets rid of the problems addressed by having the inner portion of the bolt head with less pressure than the outer portion because of coning. You could use a v-belt to counter the coning effect a little. My beadlocks are similar to the Rockstomper by having a wider ring. They did cone, but Im not worried about it. I didn't use v-belts or anything. Torqued to 20 ft/lbs. It will take you several trips around the rim with the torque wrench with any beadlock you buy. They almost never hold their torque after you tighten the adjacent bolts. I used nutserts for my application - I didnt want to hold a wrench on the backside of each bolt while I torqued them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think the Rockstomper design is the shnitz. Show me any other rim this versitle. If you have problems with the beadlock, just roll the bead onto the original bead and drive home! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

So on the rock stompers you don't cut off the old lip? How is the inner ring attached to the rim?
    Is this a kit that they sell?

8. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Yes, the rockstompers do not require you to remove the old bead ring. You just center the rockstomper inner ring by the outer diameter of your rim and weld it into place. Very simple.

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

How much $?
    How much does it widen the wheel? My guess is I need to go down to a 8 inch rim and then after the ring is added I would be like a 9 inch rim?

10. cybrfire

I just talked to a guy at Rock stomper and he reassured me that the coning effect is nothing to worry about. All bead locks will cone to some effect. If they don't cone in at all then there probably isn't enough preload on the bead of the tire. LEAK>>> I guess when they were testing them they filled there 44" swamper to 45 lbs. until it leaked and dropped to 40 lbs. and then stopped. Thanks for all your help guys. I'm gona buy a set.

11. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Yep, it would be about a 9 inch wheel after the beadlock. Go here for more info.

BIGJ