Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"BOLT ON"4 link for blazers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hi pinion, Mar 4, 2004.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

\"BOLT ON\"4 link for blazers

I am curious......Do they make an aftermarket "bolt on"(or almost bolt on)4 link suspention kit for blazers?I am buying a 14 bolt that is coilover ready on the spring perches already.I dont know all that much about it really,just thought it would be cool if they made some sort of an aftermarket kit for this.Most of the 4 link ive seen is all custom made stuff.Kind of like a 4 link kit for dummeis lol.Oh,how many ways is there to do 3-4 link stuff anyway ?(in total,not counting a standard spring lift)I want to see pics of 4 link blazers!!!Thanks Jake /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Re: \"BOLT ON\"4 link for blazers

Anyone??

3. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I have heard ORD is working on something like this.

4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifcool.Im just curious on how many ways there are to lift,excluding the standard spring lift.I would like a semi-custom suspention,without having to tube the whole backside of my truck lol. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh,how many ways is there to do 3-4 link stuff anyway ?(in total,not counting a standard spring lift)I want to see pics of 4 link blazers!!!Thanks Jake /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Way to many!
    Off the top of my head...
    Double triangulated 4 link, single triangulated 4 link, 3 link with Panhard or Watts link, 3 link with one wishbone link, Radius arms/ladder bar with Panhard or Watts link, "Z" link like Skyjackers new supper duty suspension...the list goes on...

You can also use 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, or full elliptic leaf springs, regular coils, coilovers, torsion bars, or air springs to support the weight of the truck with any of those suspensions.

I guess that makes 64 types of suspension (for a solid axle) that I can think of...

If you really want a link suspension you could either pay a shop to do it for you, or study your but off here and on Pirate (as well as a few books/mags) and design your own.

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I am curious......Do they make an aftermarket "bolt on"(or almost bolt on)4 link suspention kit for blazers?I am buying a 14 bolt that is coilover ready on the spring perches already.I dont know all that much about it really,just thought it would be cool if they made some sort of an aftermarket kit for this.Most of the 4 link ive seen is all custom made stuff.Kind of like a 4 link kit for dummeis lol.Oh,how many ways is there to do 3-4 link stuff anyway ?(in total,not counting a standard spring lift)I want to see pics of 4 link blazers!!!Thanks Jake /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Jake,

A bolt-on kit would be tough..... Even a simplified weld-in kit would be tough. ORD is doing a weld in kit (for the rear only).

Once you really start to understand the potential benefits of running a multi-link suspension (besides just looking cool) it becomes obvious that you want to control as much of the design as you can, and tailor it to your SPECIFIC truck, application and criteria. Otherwise it's just a tremendous amount of money for a "ho hum" solution.

Asking for a "pre packaged" solution is asking someone else to make a LOT of assumptions about the factors that are important to you. Unless the "kit" was fully adjustable and well-thought out you'd never be able to get it setup for the behavior you wanted.....and that's assuming you actually knew what to do with all those adjustments!

The more you study and learn about linked suspensions, the more obvious this will become. Knowing what I know now....I would never let someone else design and build my suspension for me. There are too many criteria that I want to understand and control myself. Plus.....it's FUN! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Poison spider customs has a starter kit for a 4 link. They called it a batwing. It is a x-member with lots of mounting holes in it to be welded between the frame. They also include tubing and ends along with tabs for the axle. The downside is there realy is no quick & easy way to link an axle and get even results. Just the top on vs top off of a blazer can make a good link set up become awkward or worse, useless.
    My .02

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Jake, Jake, Jake.... It's not worth it. Order the BDS kit and forget about it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif You don't need a 4 link setup unless you are doing rock crawling...on road it isn't going to help you, if anything hurt you because I don't think you could tow much with a rear 4 link. There is a reason why dodge only has coils in the front and leaf springs in the back, just like Chevy and Ford.

If you are really thinking about doing a 4 link setup, fine with me but it seems worthless besides a better ride and I don't have the experience or time to design and help you install something like that.(yet, /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

Like I was telling you on the phone last night...one day I would like to buy a 04' crew cab long bed chevy 3500HD SRW and build a complete 4 link in the front with a ford hi pinion D60 and leave the rear leaf springs and just add some nice traction bars that go from the axle tubes to the crossmember. I would also like to put a 3208 or 3126 cat in one too and get rid of the izuzumax but will it happen? Maybe, maybe not but hopefully. But have I thought about it on my K5? yes and came to the conclusion that it would be a waste of time and lots of money on a mostly street vehicle that already has a strong suspension/solid front axle. My idea of the 04' chevy is different because first off I would eleminate the IFS and put the $$$$ that I would spend on a pricy IFS lift towards a much better D60/4 link. My point is I would gain much more converting an IFS truck to 4 link than I or you would converting an already solid axle truck to 4 link.
    It's up to you man but currently I don't know how to do it and I don't want to use your truck as a guinny pig. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Jason's crewcab is linked and it's his work/tow rig...not to mention it's just plain badass...

10. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    Jason's crewcab is linked and it's his work/tow rig...not to mention it's just plain badass...

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't realize he bought that as a "kit"..... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Is the rear actually coilover or in fact still leaf sprung? If so how heavy of a load is put on the rear axle/suspension when towing?

12. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

We are currently working on a bolt-on Front 3 link with a trac bar suspension kit. It will be designed around using a front Dana 60 and provide 5-6 inches of lift. The design is similar to the weld on suspension I built for the Yellow K5. Time to market as well as cost is still unsure.
    We hope to have something available mid to late summer.

13. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Is the rear actually coilover or in fact still leaf sprung? If so how heavy of a load is put on the rear axle/suspension when towing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't ya ask him?

Yes it is coilover. It is my work truck and I do tow dump trailers and such with it often. I'm running airbags to help the super soft coils when towingand loaded down.

14. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I didn't realize he bought that as a "kit".....

[/ QUOTE ]
    I know that. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I was just throwing it out there since rjfguitar was wondering about towing and street drivin with a linked rear... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. Greg72

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't ya ask him?

Yes it is coilover. It is my work truck and I do tow dump trailers and such with it often. I'm running airbags to help the super soft coils when towingand loaded down.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK Jason, spill...... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I didn't realize that you had done an airbag assist on that rear setup. I am anxious to see a detailed pic of where the bags ended up, since I don't recall seeing that in any gallery images so far???

How much air pressure/ effective spring rate can you add before the ride height changes??? I've fantasized about adding airbags as a way to create a true "dual rate" spring setup on my uber-Blazer buildup. Maybe run the truck with around a 200 - 250 Lb rate per corner for a nice soft offroad setup....then add a couple hundred more pounds per corner to give it a more stable "street" spring rate.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

16. bgchvy79

bgchvy79 1/2 ton status

A while back somebody posted on here a picture of their blazer and they drew in where their 4 link bars would go and the measurements and all for them, I can't remember the post name or the poster, but I think I saved the pic. Email me at muddmann05@yahoo.com and I'll send it to you

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Unless the "kit" was fully adjustable and well-thought out you'd never be able to get it setup for the behavior you wanted.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldnt expect anything less from Dr. Watson / ORD. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AFA the comments about a 4-link not being all that usefull... bah! I want a 90+ degree departure angle and good flex...if there is a good way to get it with leaves, lemme know! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

18. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Truckin Suspensions makes a bolt on and weld on kits for almost anything.

19. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

20. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Greg, see in this pic:

[​IMG]

If you look about a foot below the left brake light you can see the bumpstop kinda. Right there is where the bags went. They replace the bumpstops. I still have to fab the plate on the axle to accept it. And I'm still trying to find some cheap valves to run it, I'm thinking the SMC 3/8" valves, there like $30 a piece. I'll let you know all the details once the truck moves again...