Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bolt on lower shock mounts for 14BFF

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 73k10sub, Feb 26, 2003.

1. 73k10sub

73k10sub 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These pics are of some home made shock mounts for the M1008 I am working on. I used the old stock spring plates and the old shock mounts I cut off the axle. I know I am giving up some shock travel by mounting this way but I did not want to weld on the axle tubes at this time. Also, I was trying to do this on the "cheap". My cost for the u-bolts came to about $33 from Tulsa Auto Spring because I just didn't have anything on hand in the scrap pile that would work. Another idea was to cut the old spring plates in half and use one u-bolt. I decided against this when I realized the u-bolt would have to come off any time the shock needed to be taken off. Maybe not a big deal either! /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

different and well done, I like it, now go test it out and let us know how ya like them /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

3. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Look for the shock mounts from F350 Fords.they clamp on and work really well too.I'll take a pic of mine and post. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 73k10sub

73k10sub 1/2 ton status

Reply to:
    different and well done, I like it, now go test it out and let us know how ya like them

It will be a while. I am still working on the upper mount and am trying to put something together using angle iron and plate. I still don't have the engine back from the shop; the WTO hydro assist installed; fuel system worked out; etc. A lot of work to do. I am thankful for this site, the wealth of info available, and the help from members and non-members alike. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

check out howlin offroad's rear shock mount kit. i have it installed on my suburban. there are pics of the upper and lower mounts in my webshots. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

this site is my insperation and guide line for my blazer as well, /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. NE-RokToy

NE-RokToy Registered Member

Why spend the $33 and not just weld the tab to the axle, it woulda taken just as much work either way. I guess I just don't get the point of bolt on that requires welding instead of just a little welding.

8. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Why spend the $33 and not just weld the tab to the axle, it woulda taken just as much work either way. I guess I just don't get the point of bolt on that requires welding instead of just a little welding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because not everyone has access to a welder, or knows how to weld, or knows someone who does. But pretty much anyone can bolt an item on.