Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bolt on or Weld in Rear shock mounts?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87GMCJimmy, Jan 17, 2002.

1. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

I'm installing the long travel shocks on my Jimmy now that I received and installed my shackle flips. I probably going to get a Missouri Offroad's rear shock mount kit. I was wondering if it made much difference in strength between the weld or bolt on. I currently don't have a welder or a clue on how to weld so the bolt on is definitely more convient. But then again I love bugging my friends that have welders and know how to use them!!!

thanks
    mike

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Bolt in just leaves you with the option to move it if you want, like if you blow your rear end or whatnot, you just unbolt it and move them to the new axle. Or if you have a blazer now and then the new family calls for a burban..then just unbolt and move...Aint GM great [​IMG]

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

3. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

The bolt on mounts are actually a two piece clamp that is machined .030"smaller than the axle tube diameter and then a 1/8" of material is removed from the centerline when the clamp is cut in two. Once clamped around the tube with 4 1/2'' bolts it will not go anywhere. I found that a lot of people want a bolt on application and do not have access to a welder that is why I offer both.

<font color=green>Steve Frisbie</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.mooffroadoutfitters.rockcrawler.com>www.mooffroadoutfitters.rockcrawler.com</a>