Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bolt on power for a 91 TBI

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dammit32, Nov 24, 2002.

1. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

Is there any mods out there that will give my TBI more hp or torque. All that I have seen are throttle body spacers and people say they arent worth the trouble.

2. unsane

unsane Guest

There are intakes from edelbrock part # 3704 I think, they also have a cam that will work( I know not really bolt on but)also Holley has a throttle body replacement for like $320

3. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

wouldnt you have to reprogram or change the chip in order to get gains?

4. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

New exhaust and K&N filter! then try the TBI spacer to see if it helps (sometimes it doesn sometimes is doesn't). I used accell street wires and coil, cap and rotor and my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif peped up alot. Let it breath and get more fire in the hole! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. unsane

unsane Guest

no , but you could get a hypertech chip though.

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Why take the time and effort to bolt something on...just slap some stickers on the windows. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously, I have a 90 TBI, and although I can hardly call it "peppy" any longer, the few things I have done, are noticeable. That is: better-flowing dual exhaust, K&N filter, tbi spacer, and better plugs and wires.

7. jjlaughner

you replied to the wrong guy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I have one of the ads chips and when I installed it, the check engine light come on and it felt like the shift points changed so I pulled it back out. I dont like messing with the (out of the box chips), let someone program your vehicle not your type of vehicle /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Hows the motor build-up/rebuild going?

8. bluboti

bluboti Registered Member

I have a 90 k5 tbi,3" catback, 14" openelement,new plugs etc,but lacks the umph. Only mod that really seems to wake these up is bolting up vortec heads,manifold but pricey.

9. jjlaughner

You wouldn't nessaceraly have to re-program the chip most the addon stuff (exhaust, air filter, coil, wires) are designed to go with the vehicle. The chip does not need changed with you change the filter to get more air(your not really super charging it in the way that your forcing more air in, your just freeing it up to pull more air in), or if you add dual exhaust its just breathing better (the computer can see this by the O2 and other TBI sensors and compensate for it). The TBI spacer just helps the fuel atomize better by making the motor think the intake is bigger than it really is. The wires and coil just make hotter spark.
    If you were changing the cam, the intake and the TBI all at once to HI-PO parts, I would diffentanly find a local auto performance place to help you tune the motor(sometimes if you buy the parts from them they will do the intall and tune it /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif). When you add the cam your changing the intake exhaust points and most aftermarket TBI's are going to flow more air and the intake will change the breathing pattern so I would think its important to get that updated in the computer just to get the most out of it.
    I would start small and if you still not getting the power your wanting you could try the intake and cam (when you do this you also effect the compression a little so its important to think about a ring job and maybe rebuild the heads - this might be where more ponies will come from also depending on the condition on the engine).
    Anyway you go, good luck and post back! Jeremiah

10. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Supercharger. It's bolt on. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Haha, that would do it! Aerocharger used to make a bolt on turbo kit for TBI chevy's designed for torque. The turbo was spooled by 1500 rpms and put out 450 lbs of torque at 2100 rpms!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thats one hell of an improvement over stock but it also cost $4500... I have a feeling I know why they don't sell em anymore. Turbos off-road are scary though. I've witnessed a turbodiesel hummer sucking water, that wasn't pretty. We found parts of the compressor wheel in the muffler!

12. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

I wanted to get more power from it but I really didnt want to change over to carberation.

By the way ....We dont have performance shops in Maine...god we're lucky we have gas stations lol

13. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

thirdgen.org.

More than you ever wanted to know about modifying your FI 350.

14. Rootbeer

Rootbeer Registered Member

15. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

cool site /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

16. unsane

unsane Guest

The motor is built and half way put in... Man its a cold mother out there....NO GARAGE!!! Any way I have to hook everything up and get the rest of the tranny bolts in. The most problems will come from the serpentine sysytem for sure....trying to remember how that goes back together will be a pain in the ass.

17. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

18. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Perfect solution. Unbolt the 350 and bolt-in a 383. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif