Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bolt-on Power

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hunterguy86, Jan 17, 2005.

1. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I have an 86 k5 with 103,000 miles on the 305. I got the motor runnin like a clock. I rebuilt the quadrajet and did a tune up and now it runs great. Now I would like to give it some help. What kinds of things have yall done to boost the power in yalls k5s and what products have worked well for yall. I want to add more power because I'm going to add 4 inches of lift and 33x12.50x15 tires w/ 4.56 gears.

Thanks for the help.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The gear ratio change will be a big power adder. Your motor will be more in its power band and have more mechanical advantage on the tires. I ran 32's with 4.56's in my truck and it was awesome. I did have a carb. 350 motor though that was a decent amount better then my old 305 was.

I would do power adders that can be swapped onto a different motor if and when you swap them in. Intake manifold, headers, good spark plug wires (MSD, Taylor, etc). Kick the timing up a little as long as the motor doesn't ping under load.

I would venture to guess that the 4.56's will help take up alot of the motor slack, especially if you dont have a good gear ratio in the truck now.

Harley

3. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

As stated, a good intake and some exhaust work (headers or duals w/o headers), along with the gear change will do wonders.

John

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

With it already running good there isn't much you want to do , don't want to jinx it . A good exhaust , change all the diff fluids and trans fluids at regular intervals and drive it . Maybe a new intake since that will transfer to a 350 or bigger later on . A rear locker will actually help from an acceleration standpoint . My 305 truck has no poblems moving me along with 33's and 3.73 gears :k5: :k5:

5. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I ran a 305 for 3 years, I added an Edelbrock intake and dual 2" exhaust with the stock q-jet and stock manifolds and I felt a nice improvement. I later gave the engine to my buddy and he still runs that same engine in his Heep.

6. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

a k and n and a kand n xtreme lid with good exhaust will add a good 30 hp. And what was said earlier.

7. hunterguy86

what kind of power gains could i expect w/ an edlebrock performer intake and Q-jet and a new exahuast keepin the factory manifolds, runnin 2.5 inch pipe and 40 series flowmasters out to 3in echo tips. I also want to run a x pipe.thanks for all of the help yall

8. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I would say 40-50 hp... just my two cents.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you want the most gain for your buck, dump the manifolds and get headers. No one modification will add power like headers do.

When you need your gears, hit me up via a PM, and I'll get you hooked up. :grin:

10. hunterguy86

If i put on the edlebrock intake and maybe heads and headers, would this swap over to a 350 if i decided to bulid one in the future? Thanks for all the help yall!

11. gridfaniker

gridfaniker Banned

PLEASE BUMP FOR Kent Stanley Head

12. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

yea every thing should bolt up to a 350

13. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

LET'S HEAR IT FOR N2O!!!!:D

ok i'm beside myself