Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bolt-On Steering Box Brace Question

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Kevin108, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Kevin108

Kevin108 Registered Member

I just installed my ORD bolt-on brace tonight on my 87. I cut loose my diff vent to be rerouted, shuffled some brake lines around which I expected. Also had to notch the brace out about 2"x¼" for my proportioning valve and ground about a 16th off the two bolt holes behind the steering box so that the crossmember bolt would line up with the hole. Is this a typical installation?

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Mine more or less bolted right up. I didnt even need to move any lines around.

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I have seen a few of them on 81 to 91 SFA trucks and all of them looked like they fit right out of the box.
    Has your truck been wrecked ?

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i think that is what i would have needed to do if my phat arse ever got around to installing it! i have a bunch of stuff in the way, too.

5. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

You're pretty close. It's takes a little loving to get them in. Some folks have had no problems. I was able to get by, but just barely. Last I talked to Dr. Watson, he said that they vary slightly and some installs have been a little trickier....

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I don't think GM got that carried away with precision fits and routing in that area. Couple that with a frame that moves like a noodle and you have some work to do sometimes. Your install seems to be about the worst we've heard of. Similar situation with the motor mounts, sometimes they go right in, sometimes they need some work to get it all lined up.

7. Kevin108

Cool. I should have taken some pics but a friend had my digital camera. Just making sure everything was normal. What I ended up doing wasn't hard, I had all the necessary tools though. All in all I've had a more difficult time cutting my toenails.

8. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

You might find some of the same dirt both places....

9. Kevin108

I laughed so hard when I read that!

Actually, yes, there has been. We used to have a really nice power line easment to play in. The first time I went out it was fairly muddy but then that draught set in over the summer and it all just turned into a dust bowl but being your own spotter out there in nothing but tennis shoes...without a doubt some of the same dirt was in both places. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif