Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bolt patterns

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by johnny, Jun 30, 2001.

1. johnny

johnny Registered Member

ok,if i can score a decent rearend/should i stay with the stock 10 bolt front?14 bolts have an eight lug pattern,do 12 bolts also?

2. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

All depends on what you are going to do with the truck. You could update to a 6 lug 12 bolt or 14 bolt semi floater rear or if you need bulletproof then a 14 bolt full floater. To my knowledge, 12 bolts are all 6 lug. The 14BFF will require you to change to 8 lug front disks on your 10 bolt axles. Plus all new rims & tires. You need to decide what you are building it for. The more you spend, the stronger it should be. Fill out your profile, it helps everyone give you accurate answers to your questions.

87 K5, D60 & 14FF, 5 sp & NP208 & 383 stroker. Build it Bulletproof and take it fishing!

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Do some research. I didn't know jack and thanks to the folks on this site and reading up I feel comfortable in what needs I have and how to get them in an axle! Consider lug patterns because if you buy mismatched ones you'll have to carry two spares. Also consider your wheeling needs. If you aren't going to do rocks, then probably a Dana 60 would be a waste of money for you. I personally know for me right now I am buying a 14bolt full floater and a Dana 44. Then later get a Dana 60 when I have the cash. Just remember as well add ons like lockers, disc brakes and gearing.... will add on to the price. But ask around and find someone who has work done buy them and ask how it is? Word of mouth I have found is one of the best ways to keep from getting junk and a good deal... [​IMG]

I removed my quote so gay, vegetarian, minority, eco-nazis who love Jesus, nuke spotted owls, vote Gore and smoke medical marijuana won't be offend.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've got 3/4 ton axles from an '82 K20, a 14 bolt semi floater and a 10 bolt corporate front axle.

12 bolts are 5 or 6 lug depending on what they came from. 2wds are 5 lug, 4wds are 6 lug.

14 bolt semi floaters come in both 6 and 8 lug. They also came in 5 lug in 1990 when they put the 14 bolt semi floating rearend under the 454SS pickups. This is the only 5 lug appliacation I know of that they've ever come in.

What kind of axles are more desireable depends on what you want to do and how big of tires you want to run. Obviously 1 tons and no lift and 31s is overkill, but 44s on dual 10 bolts isn't a good idea either (although I've seen it done). It all boils down to what kind of money you want to spend and how big of tires you want.

Personally if you're not going to beat the @#$#@ out of it, 3/4 ton axles of any year and 35s are good. I would say with 1/2 ton axles don't go any bigger than 35s, 33s would be my choice. With 3/4s, make 38s the limit, especially for the front axle. With 1 tons you can run whatever size tire you want to run that will fit and be legal going down the road.

Make sure you've got gears to turn whatever size tires you wish to run or your truck will be a total dog.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles