Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bolt size for tuff country springs- ASAP

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Kartoon, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Kartoon

Kartoon 1/2 ton status

i thought id be able to use the old bolts from my stock leaf springs on the new 4" lift springs from tough country, but the hole in the bushing is smaller.

do i need to go out and buy new bolts, grade 8 i presume.... what size should i get. or do the old ones go in there with some work?

2. 79Silv4x4

79Silv4x4 Registered Member

What are you putting this on? I just put one on my Burb and it came with extra bushings and sleeves as well as new bolts.

3. Kartoon

Kartoon 1/2 ton status

im putting it on a suburban too. the bushings are already on the springs. but there were no bolts. the package was actually pretty beat up, where yours floating around in the package? i guess mine could have got lost in shipping.

but would you happen to know the size?

4. 79Silv4x4

79Silv4x4 Registered Member

My new springs had bushings in them (fits 73-87 I think) but the box had extra bushings, sleeves and bolts along with instructions on replacing them. I think they are 1/2 inch bolts. . . .

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

You've probably already solved this by now but the bolt sizes can be a mess. Stock was 7/16 until '88, then they factory springs switched to a 9/16 bolt. All our HD shackles use a 1/2" bolt to balance the bushing thickness, bolt size and sleeve size.
    If you start mixing and matching these parts, you can end up with some hassles, so if it's still a problem, let us know, you may have the wrong parts.

6. Kartoon

Kartoon 1/2 ton status

well, its a 1990 suburban, 3/4 ton, and one bushing size is 9/16. the other is 7/16. im using the stock hangers. i ordered some grade 8 7/16 bolts, they should be here today.

is it ok to use this setup? its a street vehicle.

7. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

With some new bolts in there you should be fine for your intended use, check the holes in the shackle plates, they often keyhole (waller out) which screws things up to say the least.