Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bolt tech. Flexplate to TC.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DavidB, Jul 29, 2006.

1. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

So you know what I'm talking about, go to mcmaster.com and search for flange bolts.

When I bought my 454 K30, it had a nasty rattle-clunk-chingching coming from the TC cover. Figured the flexplate was broken. Popped cover open, and 1 bolt is broken, 1 is missing, rest are loose (to the TC). Think I should drop it and check the crankshaft bolts too? Next Q is which kind of bolts. The factory ones have a smooth flange. I was thinking about using serrated flange bolts to prevent them backing off, but might the serrations create fracture points in the flexplate, and/or grind it up = weaken it if/when they are taken in/out? Maybe just use smooth flange bolts with loctite?

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

what kind of bolts..?

Do the bolts thread into the converter?--if so,I'd use factory bolts or the ones parts stores sell in the "HELP" aisle--they are the right thread pitch and head style,and have locktite already applied..

If they just pass thru the flexplate and converter lugs (nuts and bolts),I've used regular grade 8 bolts and lockwashers on them with no troubles..

It is possible the flexplate holes are egged out if the bolts have been loose for long--also it may have cracked around the bolts that hold it to the crank..its difficult to see up in there without pulling the tranny back--

You can put 2 long bolts in opposite sides of the bell housing so you can slide it and the t-case back some with a floor jack,without having to pull it right out,(after removing the crossmember bolts)and change the flexplate if needed..you only need a couple of inches to get a wrench on the bolts..

:crazy:

3. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Well, maybe I oughta just go ahead and drop the 'plate out. Make it a lot easier to get the 2 broken bolts out and check for cocaine, er, cracks. Thanks for the great idea of using the long bolts. My bolts thread into the TC. Think I'm gonna use smooth flange bolts with Loctite.

4. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

.250" LH drill did the trick. Made a centering bushing out of a piece of .500" round stock and put a .250" hole in it, tapped into the 'plate perfect. Couldn't get the drill lined up perfectly 'cause of the oil pan, but I got lucky and they weren't tight, just pushed hard on the drill and they unscrewed. Whew! :saweet: