Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bolt Woes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chevy305, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Bolts.jpg
    The 2 to the right are the old shackle bolts, then moving left is the bolt included in the lift kit, and on the left is the bolt I got from Lowes that is 1" too long.

I did my front suspention over because my shackles broke (both of them). I ordered new ones with bolts from LMC. The only problem is that the Tuff country springs I put on have a 7/16" eye hole. The same with the bushings on the frame side of the shackles. LMC sent me 1/2" hardware. So disapointed, I ran to 4 harware stores in search of a grade 8 7/16" x 5". Lowes ended up having the only option longer than 4". They had the bolts but 6". So having to get my truck back together for Monday, I chose to use the 6" bolts with 10 wachers on each. I know this is not a perminate solution, so I order the exact size (7/16" x 5") I needed from McMaster-Carr.

What do you guys think of this was this the right route to go?

Bolts.jpg

2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

I feel your pain. I couldnt find any 7/16 bolts for my steering box when I put in my box brace. I had to settle with grade 5.

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

That would be the last place I would put a grade 5 on my truck

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Send the shackles back to LMC. Then call ORD and get a set of their shackles. They will come with everything you need for the 1/2" bolts (which were stock on 88-91 K5's).

5. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I second the upgrade to 1/2", but if you really need 7/16", I have a hardware store nearby that you buy grade 8 by the pound. Just about any size ytou would ever need, and then some. Course/fine thread too. I can mail 'em to you if you want.