Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bolting 2 rear shackles together... more articulation?? anyone done it

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by alaskanbowtie, May 3, 2004.

1. alaskanbowtie

alaskanbowtie 1/2 ton status

as it says I read on here somewhere that someone had bolted 2 sets of rear shackles together to get more drop??? Who has experimented with this and does it work well/safely and pictures PLEASE!!!!! I want to try it but would like some "been there done that" advice first.
    /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

That sounds pretty dangerous to me.

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    That sounds pretty dangerous to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Why? It sounds similar to a 3/4 eleptical to me.

4. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Sounds more like a revolver type thingy to me. I'd doubt it's safe at all (definitely not something I'd run on the street) /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

5. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

sounds feasible, but I would imagine you would want a longer spring to compensate for the double shackle laying down. Plus, you will want to build in a method to keep the shackles from bending the wrong way and snapping like a twig when the weight of the truck sits on them.

just my .02

6. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

If I understand the description correctly, wouldn't it be similar in concept to Marv Springer's setup?

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

exactly what i was thinking... find someone who runs that setup, or ask Marv himself.

8. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've tried the double stock shackles. They work but will ride bumpy if you don't put a "stop" on one of them to keep them from closing up. Got to have some spring/shackle give. Kind of like the revolvers. Remember you have to have a compression set-up (shackle flip) to make this work. I liked the way they "dropped out". Basically I always had both rear wheels on the ground. The way I had mine gave me about an extra 9" of droop but the harsh ride wasn't worth it for a truck on the road much. I want to get some revolvers but I'm scared to put that much money in something that may have the same ride result. There was a guy in the for sale section selling a set of revolvers but said he never rode on them (came with some springs). Find out who he sold them to and ask them how they liked them.

9. alaskanbowtie

alaskanbowtie 1/2 ton status

thx for the info that answered alot of my questions, what does a new set of revolvers cost? just curious? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. clarkjw24

I think they're alittle over $200. I think made rite has them.

11. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

OK, this is a bit off topic... but I don't understand why you'd want to do this.

It seems to me that revolvers and quarter elliptical promote uncontrolled droop. I see no sense in lying a tire on the ground that is doing nothing other than lying there. It doesn't seem to keep the vehicle from rolling and it isn't providing any noteworthy traction. Why not use some super-flexy springs like those off an IFS Chevy and put teflon between the leaves?

12. clarkjw24

Good point but when I had it on my rig. It seemed to control teatter/tottering better weight distribution. No harsh landings. 14bolts weigh alot. Ever seen a three legged dog run. Yeah maybe the wheel is not doing much but God made K5's /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif with four tires. Try running a race with one leg numb sounds hard but its a lot more stable than chopping /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif off that leg and trying to learn how to balance yourself and finish the race. Just my 2c. I'd prob put them on my trail only rigs. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

13. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I agree with clark. Sometimes, the small amount of weight that the tire provides just barely touching the ground can be the difference of teter tottering off the groun. I dont know aobut you, but I would rather have one wheel barely on the ground than 1 wheel off the ground.
    -Harrison

14. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

OK, here is the hillbilly in me talking. I figure if the weight of a tire and axle are touching the ground then that weight isn't keeping the vehicle from rolling. If you're tipped so much that you've run out of articulation on flexy leaf springs then having the tire laying on the ground isn't going to help you keep from rolling. It seems to me that the lifted tire would provide more "ballast" to keep you from going over.

15. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

But weight X arm = moment. So the farther past the fulcrum the weight is the more force it exerts. Think of a see-saw.

16. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I think 77ChevyK10 just did this to his ttruck. I don't know if he has had much time to test it yet. There is some pictures in his post about Project Squirt in the Garage and also in the Rocky Mountain forums.

Harley

17. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I tried this, well tried to try it, I used my echo bit shackle flip and two shackles from spectract suspension, took it around the block....

axle wrap was interesting with no over load, I took a few turns at spead and just about wet my pants, not to mention the main reason I gave up on it was it looked just plain red neck!

It is something I think people from the 80's would do, just like those great front lift blocks.

I think if you want great results go with a rear shackle set up that was "designed" for that purpose. The leverage alone is enough to mak me say it is not a safe method, just like tha reason no one is main streaming revolvers for full sizes. A set up like Marves " ak57 now" is engeneered /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif not cobbled together... plus the liabilty if you had a accident is not woth it too /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

wow I am starting to sound like an adult /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

on another not...

real enetertaining to break stand it and watch the rear of the truck head for the sky /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

18. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I tried this, well tried to try it, I used my echo bit shackle flip and two shackles from spectract suspension, took it around the block....

axle wrap was interesting with no over load, I took a few turns at spead and just about wet my pants, not to mention the main reason I gave up on it was it looked just plain red neck!

It is something I think people from the 80's would do, just like those great front lift blocks.

I think if you want great results go with a rear shackle set up that was "designed" for that purpose. The leverage alone is enough to mak me say it is not a safe method, just like tha reason no one is main streaming revolvers for full sizes. A set up like Marves " ak57 now" is engeneered /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif not cobbled together... plus the liabilty if you had a accident is not woth it too /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

wow I am starting to sound like an adult /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

on another note...

real enetertaining to break stand it and watch the rear of the truck head for the sky /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif