Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bolting a bender stand to the floor

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Jul 7, 2006.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

What would be the best, most practical way to bolt a tube bender stand to the floor? I have a few threaded slugs that you pound into the drilled holes but they seem somewhat janky and I don't know if they would handle the torque.

2. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I used some sleeves, and have some (big) lag screws to fasten the bender down. So far its real solid, even cranking on 2"x.120 DOM. Reason I used the sleeves is so when I am not using it and unbolt it there is nothing to trip over or poke a tire.

Clay

3. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

get some 1/2" drop in concrete anchors, dont forget to get the tool too!

4. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

The stud thingies I used are grade 8 and have a little nub on the top you beat down with a hammer to expand the bottom inside the hole in the concrete. They seem to be working just fine so far.

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I've been told by a concrete guy that the epoxy made for bonding studs in is the better plan. Doesn't stress the concrete like the expending fasteners do, so the slab is less likely to break up around the holes.

6. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

agree...

concrete epoxy is 4500 psi in strength.. equal to or surpasses the concrete... and they use it for many building anchors on big buildings

7. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

X2, That is how I do it for my stuff, I had a vise on a stand just anchored with regular concrete anchors and over time they started to get a lot of play and started to pull out. Now ever thing that is bolted into the concrete is done the epoxy way.

8. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

How does the epoxy stuff work? Can you still remove the item you are securing or is it permanent?

They sell it at any hardware store?

I have a vise stand I need to bolt down to the concrete.

9. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

it is VERY perminate. You would have to get the right stuff also. Hilti is the best. You can get this at a contractor supply house, don't think H.D or lowes handles Hilti but they may carry other brands. Drill the hole and you must blow out or vacuume out the concrete powder before you pump the epoxy in.

10. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

Also, make sure to pump in the epoxy first, then insert your all thread rod, and make like you are useing a plunger in a toilet to get it into the all the threads and pores in the concrete. this will also help mix in any left over dust you didn't get sucked out, preventing a bad bond to the concrete. start with what you figure will be too little, as you can always pull your rod out and spooge in some more goo. just work fast as sometime it will set up real fast.
    Also, try to be clean, as stated before it is permanent on everything like the tools you use, your garage floor, and of course you! Let it fully cure and then you can use it like a stud, i.e. add equipment stand and tighten nut. if you change your mind remove the nut and slide the equipment off and put a different piece of Equipment on it, retighten nut. so your mounting of equipment is not permanent, just the stud. To remove it you will need a Sawzall/grinder/torch, It will Never pull out. If you go to your local nut and bolt shop (copperstate here in AZ) and ask for "all thread" they will hook you up, they also carry all the epoxy and guns and load calculation sheets too. If it is in a wet area you can also get 304 stainless and 316 $tainle$$ $teel.
    We sold alot of this stuff along with wedge anchors too when i worked at a pipe support fabrication shop.

11. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

what exactly is the name of the epoxy, just ask for conrete epoxy?

12. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

Different stores have different brands, tell them you need two part or AB epoxy for concrete anchor bolts and they will know exactly what you need

13. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

14. FWP

FWP CRS

Exactly. Hilti. Glass vial, drop it in the hole, insert stud/ all-thread. Done. When it cures, the studs will break, or the concrete will pull out of the ground, not around the hole. Me and a few co-workers tried to pull the 1/2" stud out of the concrete as a test. No way, wound up cutting it off with a wheel.

15. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Where have I heard that befoe?
    :haha:

16. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Why is it everything I do is a total disaster.

So I buy the special concrete bolts and drill bit. WTF ever...the bit got dull after about 1/2 a hole. Then the bolts just spun in the hole and never did get a good bite.

So I moved onto the studs. Turns out the bolts hogged out the holes just enough so that the studs wouldn't get a good grip.

Buying epoxy tonight.

17. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Just saw this thread now or I would've warned you about the bolts. I got mine to work good once or twice. I went to my local industrial hardware store. Told them I wanted concrete fastners that I could remove and install numerou times and have a flat floor when they were removed. They talked me into the concrete lag bolts. I got them to tighten maybe two times.. After that some wouldn't tighten, some bent trying to tighten them, etc.. Waste of $$... I need to go back and get the expoxy'd in sleeve types....

BTW, are the sleeves that come with the epoxy just a smoooth piece of threaded pipe/tube?

18. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

What size plate is good for stand for say a vise? 12"x12"x 3/8" maybe? The reason I say 12"x12" is the metal yard here has precut pieces of plate that size in everything from 1/8" up 1" for cheap.

Also when you use the epoxy stuff, you say to use all thread or studs...are there different grades...or will anything they sell at the hardware store work. Is there a common size stud to use for anchoring this kind of stuff?

19. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I'd anchor with 1/2" size studs, minimum. I'd also try to find some grade 8 all thread, or cut the heads off of some long 1/2" bolts and epoxy those in. Make sure all the dust is out of the hole for maximum epoxy stickage. You will also want an impact drill to drill the holes, a carbide tipped masonry bit in a regular drill motor ain't gonna cut it.

20. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Well you'd better get to it,I've been patienbtly waiting for pics of the finished project for 2 weeks now. You're almost as slow as I am...:D