Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bolting on a 6.5TD turbo setup onto a 6.2 with mechanical injection

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Pookster, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I know this has been mentioned before, just without much detail-

Can I bolt on a 6.5TD setup onto a 6.2NA block without any internal modifications? Would the compression ratio be too high on the 6.2 block?

are these all the parts I need:
    turbo, exhaust manifolds and intake manifolds, turbo charger

Would the TD van setup work in a pickup?

any other questions/comments Im forgetting?

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I know this has been mentioned before, just without much detail- Can I bolt on a 6.5TD setup onto a 6.2NA block without any internal modifications?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, except there is mechanical interference from the AC box if you have one.

[ QUOTE ]
    Would the compression ratio be too high on the 6.2 block?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily, but if you have developing problems with your heads and/or head gaskets it could be the proverbial straw... Also if your CDR system is not working properly you will have a greater chance of blowing out your crankcase seals.

[ QUOTE ]
    are these all the parts I need:turbo, exhaust manifolds and intake manifolds, turbo charger

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are the major parts - in addition you would also want the intake tubing from turbo to air box, air box, crossover exhaust pipe, turbo oil lines and fittings, I can't remember if you need to go with the 6.5 injector lines and injectors due to interference or not.

[ QUOTE ]
    Would the TD van setup work in a pickup?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that the rear mounted turbo interferes at the firewall.

[ QUOTE ]
    any other questions/comments Im forgetting?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are also some issues with the radiator hoses and crossover pipe (maybe I'm thinking Banks). It's especially critical on the 6.2 to get an exhaust pyrometer if you turbo it due the somewhat lower temperature limits on the 6.2 pistons as compared to the 6.5. Also there is the issue of adding more fuel (turning up the pump) and perhaps adjusting you fuel pump timing. Also you exhaust will need changing from the turbo out.

I would make sure you do some basic diagnostic checks on your engine before investing in the turbo setup. I.E compression checks, CDR system checkout, etc.

3. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

make sure the waste gate (if using the GM turbo assy) is working properly. If full boost is on too long, you will exceed EGT and crack pistons. Like Mark said, pyro is required to monitor EGT.

The van turbo uses a 2-piece split intake manifold. This gets the inj pump out from hiding under the standard intake manifold.
    But the turbo itself is positioned on top of the bell housing. I would imagine you (might) could use the van manifolds, but all the turbo piping and mounting would have to be custom made.

A van A/C housing is flatter than a standard one and helps solve the #8 glow and turbo interference problem.

4. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

If you're thinking of putting this on your 92 pickup, then it should bolt on without any problems. You should have the same a/c box as the factory 6.5L turbo trucks, so that won't be an issue.

Otherwise follow the advice given above.

Casey

5. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Casey is right, the A/C box problem applies to the 80s trucks which came 6.2NA. In these models, a van A/C box provides clearance for turbo transplants.

6. odee1

odee1 Registered Member

So I take it the van a/c box will help out with the clearance problems with the factory 6.5 turbo parts on a 80's style cab? I have the parts to do it with just looks like it would be super tight getting the exhaust out with the a/c on the truck.

7. dieselburban

dieselburban Registered Member

Now I want to put a 6.5TD on my 6.2 /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif