Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bolts in front of fuel pump?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LKJR, Jul 6, 2004.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

on the front of the block where the fuel pump is. there are 2 bolt holes. one on the bottom and one about an inch and a half above, the top has a bolt in it. what are these for? was thinking about running a bracket down to those and wanted to make sure they weren't something I was gonna get in the way of.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

There should be , on older carbed motors , bolts holding the fuel pump mounting plate on , and then the fuel pump mounts to that . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think a while ago, i found one of them lines up with the pushrod for the fuel pump.. Probably the top one you said has a bolt in it.
    I was trying to change a fuel pump in a '57 nomad and was VERY tough to get your hands in there, one hand holding the pushrod up while you get the fuel pump in there and a bolt started...
    I got an extra long bolt and threaded it into one of those holes in the front of the block, so it would hold the fuel pump pushrod up... Then i wouldn't have to worry about holding that pushrod up while i get the fuel pump in there. i could bolt on the fuel pump, and lastly remove that long bolt, and put the short one back in... I think it'll probably leak oil if you leave that bolt out, maybe not. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif just make sure its not long enough to interfere with that pushrod.

4. jhama78

jhama78 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I think a while ago, i found one of them lines up with the pushrod for the fuel pump.. Probably the top one you said has a bolt in it.
    I was trying to change a fuel pump in a '57 nomad and was VERY tough to get your hands in there, one hand holding the pushrod up while you get the fuel pump in there and a bolt started...
    I got an extra long bolt and threaded it into one of those holes in the front of the block, so it would hold the fuel pump pushrod up... Then i wouldn't have to worry about holding that pushrod up while i get the fuel pump in there. i could bolt on the fuel pump, and lastly remove that long bolt, and put the short one back in... I think it'll probably leak oil if you leave that bolt out, maybe not. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif just make sure its not long enough to interfere with that pushrod.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep the top bolt will leak like hell if you leave it out..... You'd be better off taking a quart of oil and pouring it through your fan with the engine running than leaving that bolt out..... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. pauly383

Are you meaning on the very front face of motor, not where fuel pump is actually mounted ? I always thought those were for early shoebox motor mounts /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    on the front of the block

[/ QUOTE ]
    yea I meant the front face of the block, so if that top bolt if for the push rod, what is that bottom threaded hole for? any idea

7. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

Those same 2 holes are on the other side of the block also. On earlier model chevys those were motor mount bolt holes. I have a '58 chevy truck that uses them, also as stated, used on 55-57 chevys. My '87 block has the"holes" just not drilled and tapped.

8. pauly383

I thought so, they kept those , even though a lot of people just make new side mounts on their shoeboxes, stronger than the front mounts ever were /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif