Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bonanza Info

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevidog, Mar 8, 2002.

1. chevidog

chevidog Registered Member

Does anyone know what factory options were included with the Bonanza package? I have a '78 half ton bonanza pickup with a 14FF and 8 lug 44, is the bonanza a heavy duty 1/2 or tow package? Or is it more likely that the drivetrain was swapped? Any info is appreciated, I can't seem to find out anything about this.

2. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

It sounds like your drivetrain has been switched. Below the Silverado. It was a trim level package. Between the Cheyenne and Scottsdale, I believe. My grandfather had a 1977 3/4 ton. I don't remember if it had a floor mat, or carpet. It did not have a headliner or the fancy door panels. Vinyl seat.

3. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

i would definately say the stuff was swapped. A friend has a 78 c-10 bonanza original owner and his is everything but heavy duty. Has a 305 with 10bolt rear. I think its about equivalent to today's scotsdales pretty much a work truck but not a heavy half

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

As far as I know the Bonanza was just a sales incentive program of some sort they made. It had special badges on the fenders and trim packages introduced in three levels. It had all the standard basic options of any truck offered at this time if you wanted them (which could be about any combo the person who bought it wanted it to be if they paid for it and GM offered it at this time!).... dunno hope helpful that was, but that's all I can recall from what I read a long time ago!

5. chevidog

Kinda what I figured, it is heavy duty now anyway. The splines on the front driveshaft are completely destroyed, and I immediataly thought that the rear diff was swapped and has different gears, but then the 44 had 8 lugs too, so it got me thinkin. Now I have to figure the gear ratio on the front and rear before I fix the driveshaft, just to be sure. It sure looks like a 3/4 ton, but the vin says 1/2.

Thanks for the help. It doesn't have much for an interior, and it came with a 350 originally. Now it has a big block 366, sm465, and an np205; I think that adds up to a pretty good tow and plow rig. I have heard the poor opinions about the 366, but for what I am using it for, it should be great.
    thanks again, can't complain for $900 bucks.

6. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

You can always bore the 366 to 4.25 to get a 427./forums/images/icons/laugh.gif And then add a stroker crank...

7. chevidog

That has definately crossed my mind, but the thing runs too well to rebuild it now. I will just have to run it hard and hope for the best!
    I know this is a tall deck and the intakes are different between tall and normal big blocks, but does anyone know if things like headers, fuel pumps, accessory brackets are interchangable? I will probably post more specific 366 questions later, kinda hard to find info on those too.

8. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

The Intake is different, or you can use spacers. The dist. is taller. MSD makes a unit that has a slip collar, or I have seen people mill down the dist. pad on an intake. The headers will sit higher in the chassis with a tall deck. That may not be bad. All of the other accy's bolt up the same.

9. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

The Bonanza came with the plain door cards, no headliner, and vinyl floor mat.