Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bonded title??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigJohnson, Nov 30, 2006.

1. BigJohnson

BigJohnson 1/2 ton status

I recently purchased a M1008 with no title. The truck was purchased from a county government in georgia and georgia doesn't require 1985 and older to be titled anyway. I bought the truck for parts so I have no tag receipt from the seller only a bill of sale that is not notarized(another requirement). I can't get that stuff so they said I might be able to get a bonded title.

Has anyone ever obtained a bonded title or know how to get one in AL?

I called the state dept of motor vehicles and they told me I would have to write a letter to the attention of "Merle"(and, no, I am not making this crap up:mad: ) to get information on the bonded title. I was hoping someone could shed some light on this before I write ole Merle:D

Thanks

2. Roland_Jenkins

Roland_Jenkins Registered Member

3. PsRumors

PsRumors 1/2 ton status

In GA a bill of sale is all that is required on vehicles older than 20, like you said. But they are not required to be notarized. Alabama will honor this. My parents live in AL and we have had some dealings.

My Father had to keep going up the chain within the DMV due to the fact the frontline people thought it was required. I'd keep trying.

As for what you really asked for I will try to find out today.

4. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

I know for TX you have to go to the county tax collector and get a packet of forms to fill out. Then go the the DOT office give them the completed forms and fill out a couple new ones. They then give you a letter saying how much of a bond is required. You then go to a surrety bond company give them a letter and fill out their paperwork. They then tell you how much you actually have to pay for the bond. Once you pay their fee they give you a copy of the bond paperwork, and you take that back to the county tax collector. Once again fill out some forms and pay the fees for title transfer, registration etc. Sound really complicated but I have done several like this in the past and it really isn't all that hard just several hoops to jump through. The total time from going to the tax collector to get the bond packet to returning with all paperwork to get the title usually takes me about a week. That is just going to each office on my lunch break. It could be done faster if all the trips are made the same day. My bond company usually takes 2-3 days to get all the paperwork ready from the time I drop off the packet with them until I can come pick up the bond. That time may vary depending on bond company. Just be prepared to get some writers cramp but I would expect it should be somewhat similar in your state.

5. blazersnburban

blazersnburban Registered Member

no doubt thats a headache read there.
    i wonder if i call the dmv with a vin # can they give me the owners name and address, possibly a phone#?
    there is a vacant farm down the road from where i live that has a '78 k-30 sitt'n on it, in the weeds, and nobody, even the neighbors know who owns it.
    i went to court house to find out the owner of the propety, find out the man is dead and the state is going to forclose on the property and i would like to try and get the truck before the state gets the land. i found a registration in the glovebox for some1 who lives in GA, from 1993. i've tried to find him to no avail....since i want it for parts ...i'm tempted to just drag it home!??! any ideas? strip it b4 any1 knows?

6. PsRumors

PsRumors 1/2 ton status

I know the feeling but grand theft is grand theft. Years ago there was an abandoned lot down the street. On it sat a 64 Ford Falcon Sprint and '69 Mustang Fastback. Wanted those cars bad but never could locate the owner. Years later they were hauled away by the county for code violations. They were then crushed, at the time could not be sold.

7. blazersnburban

blazersnburban Registered Member

man that sucks, a 69 mustang crushed!! grand theft has to be of a certain value doesn't it, i would hate to have to hire a lawyer to try and convince the judge that its only worth 50 bucks. be out money and still wouldn't have the truck, i think i may just give the dmv a call or the tax collector,who's about to forclose and see whats up!! got to be a way to go about it legally.

8. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

You could always buy another "frame" :wink1: and swap everything over and title it that way.

9. BigJohnson

BigJohnson 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the replys everyone.

A little update on my title situation. I found out the truck was titled in georgia by the county when they owned the truck. I guess this is good but I think trying to get georgia to transfer the title to me is going to hard if not impossible so I am continuing with the bonded title process.

I found a local company that sells the bonds and they are going to do it for $100. All I have to do is make a request to state for the forms. Problem is I haven't been able to get any that works for the state DMV that knows there butt from a hole in the ground:doah: But the bond guy says if I can get the forms I should be good to go.

We shall see:D