Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bondo brand name bedliner, TruckGaurd. (Don't use it!)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mr.smartass, Nov 15, 2006.

1. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

I only found one thread on this and they bashed the hell out of it... but i just got a whole kit to do a 8 ft truck bed for free, and i've been wanting to pull my carpet for some time now... I was just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with this stuff. I'm thinking maybe the other guy just had a mixing ratio problem...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  2. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

<threadjack>

Hey, e-mail me about that D44 if you want more info. They moved the thread to a member-only forum, so I couldn't reply. I'm about 4-5 hours from Chicago.
    goldwing2000@comcast.net

</threadjack>

3. mr.smartass

ttt, anyone?

4. mr.smartass

ok obviously no one has any experience with it... lol, so i'm gonna take some pics and try it out myself, already got it all stripped down gotta tape a little off and wash it... i'll update this thread later tonight or tomorrow...

5. mulletman671

mulletman671 Registered Member

My buddy did it in his 75 k5, and it came out mint. I didn' see him do it, but it only took him a few hours and looks great. If there were any issues with the application im sure I would have heard about it.

6. mr.smartass

Well it's done, spent a whole bunch of time prepping, hopefully it'll dry and turn out like it's suppose to. If not I'll be severly pissed, cause it'd be a PITA to get out lol. here a few pics.

All the crap i took out, side panels, carpet, insulation, speakers, etc.
    [​IMG]

After i got the stuff out, before I cleaned it up.
    [​IMG]

All prepped up, removed the glue on the fenderwells with a roloc disc on the die grinder.
    [​IMG]

A little close up of my "lightly sanded" paint.
    [​IMG]

All done, put a couple of flood lights on it to maybe speed up the drying process. It says it takes a whole day to dry, I'll let yall know how it turns out.
    [​IMG]

Picture of the kit after i was finished, still had like 1/4 of a gallon left... i tried to put it on as thick as possible...
    [​IMG]

I managed to do the whole thing without getting any on my "hootus" only a little on my hands and some on my arse... i got a nice shot of it too but i felt it wasn't appropriate, to much crack :eek1: a little finger nail polish remover took it right off.

7. mr.smartass

ttt, is there a way to edit the title so it can say "pics added" ??

8. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Yeah, just edit your first post and you can edit the title.

9. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i want to do this too and yours turned out pretty good, its pretty glossy but will it flatten out? and did it stink up your garage. how much total cost was there and how difficult and how long did it take to apply? it looks realy good.

ive already ditched alot of my interior and trim pieces cause of muddy water damage so i need a good way to get rid of the bed carpet.

10. mr.smartass

Yeah i clicked edit but it just lets me edit the text not the title... hmm...

It actually appeared to be drying glossy when i looked at it last night... i didn't really know it was gonna do that but It actually doesn't look to bad. I got the kit for free but i think it usually retails for about 90 bucks, but it was more then i needed, and comes with every thing you need, well minus a couple extra sheets of 60-80 grit sand paper.

What took the most time was the prep work but my truck is in really good shape with no rust so it wasn't that bad. just make sure you scratch it up real good, so it adheres to it. It's probably advised to do it in a well ventilated area which i did not, but i didn't, i wore a mask and it didn't seem to potent, no headaches or anything. You can smell it but it disipates when it dries.

When i get home it should be nice and dry and i'll test out the durability, and give some feed back on it. I left the heat on in the shop and the lights on all night (power bill will suck, sorry pops :( ) so it should dry by now.

11. sarasotausmc

sarasotausmc 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

When you click to edit and the new window pops up, there should be a tab that says "go advanced". You can change the title from there.

Make sure you post a pic after it's dried.

12. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

how many coats did you do? i hope more than one, or your going to need to get another layer on there before you put everything back in. looks good not bad at all for free, but im happy with my herculiner. :)

13. GruntHunter

GruntHunter 1/2 ton status

Bondo bedliner

Can that stuff be colored at all? I want to do just my tailgate but in a dark blue. The local shop wants $150 just to do the tailgate. They claim they need to buy an entire gal to do it ..... BS ! but it still may be the easiest way out.

14. mr.smartass

Well i think it's still not totally dry... i managed to get my fat ass in there and woller around and mess a little bit of it up, putting the interior back in. I only did one coat and did it very thick because the "working time" of the stuff is 4 hours cause you mix the hardener into the gallon... so by the time you put it all in and it dries enough, you're out of time... the stuff wasn't all dry but i was afraid of trying to roll another coat on and messing up the first one... it's pretty thick but if it doesn't get harder i'll be very disappointed... I'm gonna chalk it up to the temp being low. I'll keep ya posted.

P.S. it stays super glossy.

15. mr.smartass

Ok 2 month update... Just put my back seat in about a week ago and I guess you can say it's just because I only did one coat but I scraped it with the seat brackets and it chipped a line down the length of the bed... It's very brittle. I would never do it again... like I said before it didn't seem safe to try to add another coat, but you're welcome to try it if you want. I'm putting a rubber mat down in the back. I'm gonna herculine the cab part... My advice is do not use bondo brand name bed liner... :mad: But if it's any consolation their under coat is very nice :waytogo:

16. muddybuddy

yep herculiner is what i used for the whole thing and im very happy with it, 2 years later

17. mr.smartass

Is it more rubberized? Cause this stuff is like weak powdercoating... it won't be hard to take a scraper and shop vac to...

18. muddybuddy

yea it is. i did 2 coats on mine and there are only a few little spots that have started pealing, but after 2 years im not complaining since i got the whole kit for $60. i ended up using the gallon, and then an extra quart to make sure i did it all thick. u can do it in 1 gallon, but i wanted it thicker

19. mr.smartass

How long did you let it sit and dry between coats? Is the prep the same? Is there a hardener or what?

20. muddybuddy

um, its been so long, im trying to remember. i dont think so. i sanded it down slightly like you did, and rolled it on with a roller. let it sit for about 2hrs i believe then did another coat. no problems