Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bone stock but need 35's?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by emoo99, Jan 17, 2003.

1. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

bone stock but need 35\'s?

hey i'm new to the forum, just got my 86 blazer yesturday /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif and already to lift it and slap some 35's on.. i've searched alot on what axles and stuff but really don't know anything about off-roading, I'm mostly about stereo's and already got my 260amp alternator to power my system .. so my question is, since my truck is stock i was wondering with a 1.5-2in add-a-leaf and a 3in body lift, would i be able to clear 35's with some "little" fender trimming /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif? also i'd need to change my gears to i guess 4.56.. i won't be offroading much it's mainly for looks and i don't have much money but i wanna do it right, so any input on what i need to do for some 35's on would help,, thanks.. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

Re: bone stock but need 35\'s?

ive got 35's on stock suspenison and stock rally rims i did have to do a little triming though but i belive im an exception to the rule normaly you would need about 5inchs of lift dont ask me why im the exception to the rule i already have a post on here (is my truck lifted) to try and figure that out as far as gears what do you already have?

3. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

u got a pic of you truck, if i saw it i could tell ya if it was lifted /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I got some 32's on their now.. i'm pretty sure 35's wouldn't fit unless i broke out my saw and went to town, i just need a way to lift my truck "cheap" and roll with 35's..

4. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

naw im having trouble getting my pictures to post but if you look at (is my truck lifted) in this forum you will see a nice long descussion about it /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

ok but if i get 35's put on my truck do i have to do anything special so i don't wear my tranny out or anything?, like new gears?, smaller rims so they don't rub on stuff?, or bigger axles so they don't break?.. like i said i'm a newbie, i just want it to look good, i'm not goin on any major trails, some camping in the summer, and skiing in the winter but no 4x4 trails..

6. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

you need to fill out your bio so we can know alittle more about your truck like year motor tranny axles gears etc

7. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

i just bought awhile ago, i know it has a 350 in it but it didn't come with any papers or anything so i dunno any of that stuff.. i'll have to have someone check it out cause i dunno.

8. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

what year is it, im still using stock 3.08gears and the 700r4 tranny and i dont have any problems, about 85-90% of my driving is on road some city some highway

9. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

If you're just doing this for looks, I'd leave the suspension alone and just throw on some 33's. Although a few brands are taller than others, most will fit a stock blazer. Save yourself a ton of headaches and spend the cash on something else.

10. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

probably not a bad idea

11. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

it's an 86, and yea mainly for looks but i want 35's /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm just stingy like that, 35's sound better than 33's, i know when i get my 35's put on i'll want to lift it more and put 39's on /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif i'd like to do it all without cutting the fenders but i know i probably can't do that without a 5-6 inch lift, but it'll look ku when i get it all done.

12. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

not to sound critical but why do you want 35's if your not gonna wheel it? my k5 has 32's and looks pretty good and doesn't rub until i really flex it up i assume i have stock gears i just bought it a month or 2 ago.it still gets good mileage and has decent pick up. i am going to 37's but i plan to wheel it. i am getting 1 ton axels lift etc. if your into stereo's (a perfect excuse for someone to break into your ride /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif) you would have alot more money if you just do 32 or 33's with maybe a body liftyour stcock axels should be fine as long as you dont do burn outs or fly down campin trails

13. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

well an 86 should have a 700r4 and the earlier ones were not that reliable so gears could not hurt but i would stay somewhere in the range of 3.73-4.11

14. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

well i used to drive a ford that was like .5in off the ground and that's easy as heck for someone to take the stereo out of, that's another reason i want it lifted, the higher the better, i just can't afford it right now.. but i want the look of the 35's so incase i have to drive through a river or over a fallen tree i can /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif i don't live in the country but hey i could need 35's some day, they might save my life /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif and cause i wanna park next to this guy at work who things his truck is the bomb,, if i pull up next to his and make his look small,, haha oh the feeling i would get when he tells me he's buyin new wheels.. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif "what, mines bigger than yours..?"

15. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I've got 35's on a '74 2wd with 3:08 gears. It's really not that bad. Mine is mostly street driven, BUT I have prerunner fiberglass fenders. If ya want 35's by golly get a set! Do it the way ya want. I would hold off on gears till ya try it....it may be OK. Welcome and have fun! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. RockyRider13

RockyRider13 1/2 ton status

I think that 44" tires and 20" of lift, maybe more to be safe, would do a better job of saving your life. If you really want people to envy your truck, chrome your shocks. And for fuel economy, it would probably be best to ditch your t-case and front drive shaft, they are just parasetic drag. Oh, and ask any ricer, spoilers are welcome to any party! After all this yours will be bigger for sure!!!

17. cojnit

cojnit 1/2 ton status

ahhh now we gwet to the source of the 35's. Nothing like making other people jealous. And I agree With you in the fact that you never know when a lamp post may fall, or a hydrant breacks and floods your street. And For these reasons I too am looking to move from 33's to 35's. I feel your pain!

18. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

definetaly.. never know when the local water drains are gonna flood and you see all the ricers exaust fill up and their engines bog down... and the water's a foot high and it hasen't even touched my rim yet/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanks for the input guys, i'm gonna buy 35's and try them out and see where i need to go from their.. prob just get a 3in body lift if needed then a add-a-leaf later..

19. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

From trucks I've seen with 35s you can fit them if you go with an 8" wheel with 4" of backspacing and 4" of lift. That means new springs in the front and at least blocks in the rear if not a shackle flip or new rear springs.

"Zero rates" or whatever people are calling them are nothing more than blocks. So, the most you can get with a body lift is 3". It'll require some serious fender trimming to get the tires to turn with only 3" more space between the asphalt and body.

If you're not going to go 4" of suspension lift then you might as well just go hog-wild on the fenders.

33s will fill the fenderwell no problem. They'll even let you turn if you don't have droopy springs up front. http://www.wrath.com/projects/vehicles/images/84k10/fendertrimming-100902/33s_on_10in_wheels_nolift.jpg

20. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Just guessing, but I bet you are the type of guy that will someday show up on the evening news being rescued after trying to drive across a flooded road after going around the barricades.

Nothing wrong with wanting nothing more than a mall runner, but don't kid yourself about the reason why you want the 35s.