Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bonehead Shacle Flip Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4wheelin4Jesus, Sep 11, 2005.

1. 4wheelin4Jesus

4wheelin4Jesus 1/2 ton status

Sorry to be repetitive with my thread, but after searching, im a bit confused. I also read the home made shackle flip in the tech area, but I havent grasped the whole concept. I have a six inch suspension lift. I have 2" blocks in the rear to level my rig out. I was researching the shackle flip, but dont totally understand the whole deal. From what i gather, You just take the rivets out of the rear shackles. Flip them, and bolt them in with grade 8 bolts. Am I missing some details? Do you have to drill new holes in the frame? What about the angle of the shackles? Do I match the angle that the stock shacles had? Do you only mess with the rear of the springs, or do you have to modify the front shackles of the rear springs? What exactly would i gain by doing this mod? Sorry for all the questions, but any help would be appreciated.
    thanks,
    Mike

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

ORD's:

http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/shacklekit.htm

DIY's:

http://diy4x.com/suspension.htm

You are missing some details, yes. You will need to change the rear shackles of the rear springs. This gets you ~4" of lift without changing springs, so you keep the relatively soft factory spring rate. If you have 6" lift springs now, you'd be fricken' huge ... you'll prolly want softer springs anyway, for greater articulation. 6" springs are not all that flexy.

Read the ORD page -- lots of good stuff there.

-- A