Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Boneyards in Wisconsin that grant "Free Roaming"

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PhoenixZorn, Apr 1, 2005.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

I've yet to find a boneyard in Wisconsin that allows people to walk through the yard... basically, you walk in, ask if they have something, and if they have it in their computer, they have one of their guys go cut it out or bring it up front if it's in the warehouse. Anyone from the Watertown area know of any yards that let you walk in and pick your own parts?

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I am not in wisconsin but only 20 miles or so south of racine, Wi. The yard down the street from me let me roam around wiht my own tools and take what i want to. Cheap too. I got a Ford HP D60 from a 1979 SRW F350, BOM610023 for next to nothing.
    Not sure how far away from you i am though, could take a road trip down here and we could head to the yard together. It is like my 2nd home lately. Looking ofr cheap parts. THey usually have a few older chevys laying around but inventory moves fast. Still looking for a few parts for Southernspeed though, as they keep crushing all the cars and trucks if they sit for too long.

3. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

There are yards that don't allow you to walk around? I have never been told no. Anything in particular your looking for? i might be able to point you in the right direction.

4. PhoenixZorn

Eventually, a set of 3/4 or 1 ton axles... maybe a full tub if I can find on with front end damage so I can just cut the back end off and tow it home... It's hard to find anything in a yard that isn't rusted out though... I might get lucky...

Pretty much the axles and maybe some bigger rubber and wheels.

Chief, I'm about 2 1/2 hours from Great Lakes... i head down there occasionally to go to Gurnee Mills, so next time I head that way, I'll send you an e-mail...

In the mean time, if any of you have a full tub laying around that you want to get rid of, e-mail me at dragonriot@charter.net

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I just looked at a map and you are not too far from me. I drive up to Montello once in a while and that is 3 Hrs from here. When i head to the yard this weekend i will see what i can find for you.

Tub...Maybe
    Bigger tires...Doubt it
    Rims..Hundreds of them
    Axles...Now and then

6. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

tubs are hard to find, they usually rot out under the carpet behind the front seats. I havent seen a set of one ton GM axles at a bone yard in about 10 years. 3/4 axles are an easy find and you should be able to pick them up for about 200-300 per set. If i do see anything ill let you know.

7. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

hey Readymix, would that yard your talking about have any Big Blocks in it?
    have an address or exit to get off of from 294?

8. PhoenixZorn

Dodgedude, you gotta come all the way back to 94 and get off near Gurnee Mills if I'm not mistaken... Waukegan area...

Ruger, that's my problem, except it rotted out behind the back seats and the guy covered the whole thing with bondo then carpet... I should have checked more closely when I was buying it... if I had known how bad it was, I would have never gotten the thing.

9. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

I went to a boneyard in Zion, about 30mintues away from my house and the same from Readymixs. They said they had the part and i asked if i could look at the truck and they let.

Ready, what boneyard have you been going too?

Later

10. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Zero, The JY you are talking about in Zion is B.C. Auto.....They suck. No questions asked.

The one i go to is off of the 41 on Washington St. It is called Auto Parts City. The guys there are all mexican and most don't really understand english very well, but they always let me in without paying the $2.00 entrance fee. Probably because i am there a lot. They will not remove parts for you unless you specifically ask or it is a big item like the D60 i bought. If anyone ever needs a part i can always look around the yard for you.

A few words of warning.
    1. Don't call and ask if they have a part. They always say no. They do not keep an inventory and they will not walk around and look for you.

2. If you need a part that could be expensive, always ask for a price before you remove it from the donor. That is how i got the D60 so cheap.

3. Bring your own tools, and cash only...

11. crazykev4x4

crazykev4x4 1/2 ton status

give me a call tomorrow. we could hit some yards. there are a few around watertown.i have to install my trans in the morning but give me a call after 7am. mybe if you are not busy you could stop by my house and give me a hand with the trans.

Kevin
    988-7109

12. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I've been to Eagle Auto Salvage and some place off Hwy 18 near Sullivan (can't remember the exact name). The coulple of times I've been there, I've gone to the front desk, asked for something, and they grumbled and said, "I don't know, go look around." So I did. At the place in Sullivan, I found some 3/4 ton axles still attached to a truck. I asked how much and they said "$600 if you pull them, $800 if we do." I asked if that was with 18 or 24 Karat gold plating and walked away. Part of why their price was so high was because I don't think they sell a lot of that kind of truck stuff. And, maybe moreso, I'm younger and maybe they thought I didn't know what I was doing there and they could over charge me.

Either way, give those places a call. Eagle seems to be a pretty well-run place. Again, more car stuff than truck, but they do have a pile of axles.