Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bonzo-like Thumpasaurus

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Inu-Hanyou1776, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Had a good session at the drumset yesterday afternoon. I can now play 16th-notes on my set's bass drum now, plus just a tad of 32nd-notes, even though I'm still only using a single bass drum pedal, and play them good and LOUD too. I'm getting close to having Bonzo's pedal speed and power and can now play some of the licks he played, just now gotta work on the control side of it, which I'll be doing today.

My drumset tuning experiments continue, and I think I've now gotten my Pearl Forum kit sounding as close as I'm probably going to get it to how Bonzo's Ludwig kits sounded, except I've now added my own little bit of uniqueness.

Thanks to a new bass drum batter head I purchased a week or so ago that's equipped with its own muffling ring, I've been able to take all the padding now out of my bass drum. This was accompanied by cranking up the tension on both the batter and still-using OE Pearl resonant heads as high as I felt I could safely go, and my bass drum then sounded almost exactly like how Bonzo's bass drum sounds on Zeppelin's Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffiti albums, except for Kashmir. I don't have a big, cavernous hallway and stairwell to play in like Bonzo had for that piece. The twist I've now added is that I've now loosened the tension on the resonant head some to where now when I play sixteenth notes on the bass drum, the resonant head has a bit of a constant droning to it.

I'm licking my chops now at what the possibilities are of what's going to be possible on my bass drum when I finally get my set double-beater pedals I'm wanting for Christmas. If I can do what I can do now with just one pedal, just IMAGINE what I'm going to be able to do when I get double-pedals and get my left foot as well conditioned and fast as my right foot now is? :D I love it!!!

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Drummers have always been underrated, no oneever recognizes how much work goes into keeping time, and getting just "that sound". wow, double bass huh? me thinks I hear a speed metal version of jingle bells coming up! :D :bow:

3. Inu-Hanyou1776

My sticking has just gotten a lot better too. I've been having stick throwing and dropping problems too, but those have been solved this morning now thanks to this:

[​IMG]

Latex self-adhesive elastic sports bandages. Didn't use 'em on myself, I wrapped my sticks with it and now I have COMPLETE control over my sticks and diddling has never been easier.

I now also this morning reduced my drumset size from a convential five-piece down to a four-piece by removing my middle-size bass drum-mounted tom (12"x14"), and setting it aside. The whole reason for that was so I could position my ride cymbal (20" Sabian B8) as close as I could to where Bonzo had his on his kits. Before that, the ride cymbal was located such that I had to use an awkward playing angle to play it that was contributing to my stick throwing/dropping problems. Reason I had to do that was because I've only got two boom-type cymbal stands, and both of those are taken up at the moment by my crash (16" Sabian B8) and splash (12" Paiste 402) cymbals, with the ride on a conventional stand. May do some more juking around with that today, do some cymbal stand swapping and see if I can find a way using my sturdiest boom stand to get the ride cymbal where I want it and yet also allow me to remount my middle tom.

Yeah, parents are looking for me a good set of double-beater pedals so I'll now have dual bass beaters behind the bass drum. Needing one of those because my brother plays metal on his guitar and I need 'em to be able to play that style. The new bass batter head I got was a 22" Aquarian Super Kick I (floating muffling ring integrated into it).

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

32nds on a single kick, eh? At what tempo, as in how many BPM? How many in a row? Care to record and publish it so we can hear it for ourselves? :deal:

5. Inu-Hanyou1776

Only very, VERY briefly at about 60-80 bpm. Mostly can do it by taking advantage of the beater bouncing back off the batter head. Can't record it yet, don't have a good microphone, but I will make a recording of it eventually, because I want my friends over on the anime forum I'm a member of to hear me too.

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i can do it with my tongue at nearly 125bpm. the ladies like that kinda thing. :D

7. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

8. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

The guy from Arch Enemy, at least how I've counted, does 32nd notes with the bass drum at about 180 bpm...with double bass, of course. The hardest part of double bass is getting the sound clean....getting the beats equally spaced when you are going that fast. You get used to it, but can be a pain when you get started. You get the heel-toe double beat yet with your single pedal yet? Get that nailed down and work on your left foot VERY hard to get both your feet to the same level and you'll be unstoppable. What pedals are you looking at getting? These are mine... Clicky!

I've found the Roller Glide cam is easier to get a steady roll on when using quick double bass for long blasts. And a big hint.....when you start going that fast....move your foot to a spot about half way between the top and bottom and rock the BACK of your foot to push the pedal. Takes much less effort, you can go faster without getting as tired....the downside...it's hard to control, so it'll take some time to get used to it.

Rockin, man! When are we gonna hear some audio of you kicking it on the drums??

9. kick

kick 1/2 ton status

I love my DW double pedal but am currently using my old Ludwig Speed King circa 1968 (put new springs in more than once over the years ).

I'm using my 1980 Chrome O' Wood Ludwigs from 1980 sizes 16X24, 9X13, 16X16 with Ludwig Hand Hammered Metal Snare. Zildjian 20" Rock ride, 2-18" Zildjian Rock Crash cymbals, 14" Zildjian KZ hi-hat cymbals.

10. Inu-Hanyou1776

The putting my foot in the middle of the pedal and rocking my heel is what I'm using a lot of already, and your're right, it's hard to control. Getting the heel-toe action goin's been hard as I don't think I can get my seat low enough to get my thigh parrallel to the floor.

Think a lot of my control problems I'm having at the moment are stemming from the fact my current single-pedal is the P.O.S. original-equipment one that came with the kit, and I need to try and take it apart and lubricate it. I found that out when I went to the high school football game tonight, stopped by the bandroom to drop my brother off, and sat down at the school band's own Premier-brand drumkit briefly.

The kick pedal on that set feels MUCH more smooth, stable and better than what I've currently got, maybe because it hasn't ever been outside of a climate controlled environment any (like mine has) and has probably had a lot of preventative maintenence done on it. I had a lot more control with it, and because of that was able to play just on the kick alone the snare drum part to one of the cadences I remember from when I was in the same marching band, at the same tempo we always played it at too, so yeah, I need those new pedals as soon as possible. My current pedal is practically worn out and has had it.

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

you laugh, but its true. i play the sax.

12. kick

kick 1/2 ton status

I play with the balls of my feet toes down heels raised and sit reasonably low. Concentrate on getting a solid beat first where everything is steady. Speed will come with time. I don't do the heel-toe method. I started out using military grip on the sticks, been using matched grip for many years. More user friendly for travel around modern drum set up. I also use Easton Synthetic sticks for practice and live. Use wood sticks for recording. Also use Remo black dot heads and white Ambassador on batter side of snare. Those muffle ring bass heads are great.

13. Inu-Hanyou1776

[​IMG]

Here's my current kick pedal. It's the strap-drive O.E. Pearl one that came with the kit, and as you can see it's had better days. Look at the beater ball!
    Surprisingly, working it with my hands the bearings are still real smooth, but I think the beater ball's too heavy for my preferences is why the pedal on the school band's drumkit felt so much better. That one's a strap drive too, but the beater ball's apparently much, much lighter.

14. kick

kick 1/2 ton status

Geez, that pedal has seen better days. I'm in transition my stuff is all over the place if I could dig something up I'd get a loaner, keeper pedal for you. I'm also more limited than usual am on the mend from rotator cuff surgery and my arm is in a sling. I've been playing for many years and believe in helping out the a fellow drummer you sound like you are serious.

15. Inu-Hanyou1776

Nah, I don't think I'll need it. Christmas is only a month or so away and my parents said they'd get me the double-pedals as a Christmas present. What I really need after the double-pedals are some better cymbal stands. Two of my current ones have got spindly legs and I don't think they are sturdy enough. My best one has double-reinforced legs that make it very, very hard to tip over.

16. Inu-Hanyou1776

Just learned something new I'm going to try tomorrow with my drums. Tomorrow, as early as I can, I'm going to try taking some aluminum foil and lining the inside of my bass drum with it and see what kind of a cannon-like sound I can get with it! :D :D :D