Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

boo hoo- can't 4-wheel for three weeks, and its not my fault.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88jimmyoungowner, Dec 18, 2001.

1. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

boo hoo- can\'t 4-wheel for three weeks, and its not my fault.

my transmission has beene broke for a looooooooong time. It has pretty much been broken since we got the truck. we got it at an auction to use for spelunking and camping. it is now my car. We had the tranny re-built onece, about three years ago, and the reverse gear did not work. Now it has been re-built again. This time it didn't shift properly. we discovered this after thanksgiving day(on that day we went wheeling). the guy at the shop says that it was a combo of "the teen driving it(bad stereotype) and the 4-wheeling." He was just standing by his work. I had driven the car maybe 50 miules since it got re-built the second time(no liscence at that time). The guy just wants us to pay for another re-build. Now my dad has gotten him to fix it agian for free. Now, so we don't have to pay for any more wrong doings, i can't add to his reasoning by mudding. I hate the stupid people we have in this town.
    Thank you for reading, and letting me rant and rave. Also blowing off some steam.

16, 88 jimmy, kearning, but still need help

2. chevysrule

chevysrule Registered Member

Re: boo hoo- can\'t 4-wheel for three weeks, and its not my fault.

Thats too bad. Are you still getting a lift? Let me know how it goes.

3. chevysrule

Too bad you dont live in Ut i know a guy who will have your tires chirping when your tranny shifts for $200. Make sure the guy rebuilding it puts in a shift kit.

4. 88jimmyoungowner

the lift won't be done unti lafter feburary at the earliest. Now enough money. I wnat to do the limited slip(s), the lift, and the gear swap(if needed) all in the same month, roughly, time period. So that will delay my work for a awile. I am also trying to get through 15th of janurary, my eagle court of honor is then, so truck is on the back burner right now.

5. 88jimmyoungowner

i wish i lived out in Ut for many reasons: there are better trails out there than there are in north GA

6. chevysrule

Better trails maybe, but we also have the damn olympics coming too.

7. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

One word of advice assuming it is a 700R4... get a second opinion! The 700 is probably the most oftenly wrongly rebuilt tranny and if you don't find a good shop that is very familiar chances are they will not get it done right. I also say this because you say it was shifting badly.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

8. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

I agree with CaptCrunch. I had my 700 rebuilt 4 times in my street truck. The first time was at 100,000 miles, after that, the thing only lasted about 14,000 miles, just long enough to outlast the 12,000 mile warrantee. Also in between these rebuilds, I had to take it back to the guy because the torque converter was ticking, then the one he put in broke. After about another 15,000 miles, it went out again. This time I took it to AAMCO, and they showed me where the previous guy had used a grinder to make a servo fit. They rebuilt it and I got 70,000 miles out of it. When it did go, I took it back to them and they gave me a discount on the second rebuilt. They even replaced my rear main seal for free because it was leaking. I am very pleased with their work. All total I got a rebuild, 2,500 rpm stall converter, tranny fluid cooler, 14 blade pump, corvette 2nd gear servo, shift kit and a lifetime warrantee for about $1,800. Not bad in my opinion since the warrantee is good forever as long as I have it checked by them once a year.

Diesel

Shouldn't it be called uncommon sense?

9. 88jimmyoungowner

i drove it to school this morning, and it seemed to shift fine, but it shifted at 20, and 45. One time i tried to make a caution light(late for school already) and had to floor it, and from then on it did not shift, unless i was at least 45 mph at a high RPM. Oh, yeah- on top of that, i left my lights on this morning and turned them off at about 11:15. I did not try to start becasue some teacher was out there watching me and i did not want to get in trouble. Today is not good. Iseriously believe that by the end of the trasmission thing, we will have paid for a new tranmission, but only gotten three bad re-builds. I hate abd shops.

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Funny the best trail in the SE is less than 2 hours from you. You just don't know where to look [​IMG]
    Get your truck fixed and your license and then come see the GBR communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim>coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

11. chevysrule

A vacuum hose could be loose. I had one fall off and it would only [censored] at about 4000 RPM.

12. 88jimmyoungowner

i never said that i did not know about tellico. Can you get me directions to the place from Rome/cartersville-whichever one is easier. Names of streets, and milage would be nice, but f you can't, don't try too hard. i may go down with my family in the next month or so.

13. Grim-Reaper

There are 2 trails in Ellijay, One between Ellijay and Dawson. There use to be a great rtrail system in Peidmont AL but I think it's still closed. There's trail just west of Chattanooga on 24. TN is also going to be opening some ORV parks hope fully soon.
    Hook up with the GBR. I know it's a long ride to Dunwoody but we have a club ride once a month and usualy a wildcat where a few members will go to a trail. We somethimes take a long weekend at go to out of state ORV area's including WinRock. Becides joining a club like the GBR will get you joined to both Southern www.ufwda.org and those are both org's that are trying to save the few trails we have left and your membership dues would help with that. Souther has infact gotten TN to open ORV's and is increasing the LEGAL trails available in the SE.
    We usualy have a CK5 run in the spring at Tellico also.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

14. Grim-Reaper

[red]700R4 TV ADJ HELP!!!!!![/red]

I just re read you post as to your problem. Your truck should have a 700r4. They use a TV control cable for the transmission. This cable tells the tranny how much throttle your pushing and it adjusts the shifts accoring to that. Sound's like there may be a problem of it either stuck or not adjusted correctly. I have never adjusted one but hopefully somebody who has will respond.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    &lt;a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s&gt;communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s&lt;/a&gt;
    &lt;a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim&gt;coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim&lt;/a&gt;
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Grim-Reaper on 12/20/01 12:13 PM.</FONT></P>