Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

books about building engines.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by unicknn, Dec 28, 2002.

1. unicknn

unicknn 1/2 ton status

I want to build an engine for my blazer. Im thinking a 350 or a 454 but i havent made up my mind yet. Does anyone know any good books to read about building engines? Ive found these books on amazon.

John Lingenfelter on Modifying Small-Block Chevy Engines How to Rebuild Big-Block Chevy Engines
    How to Build Max Performance Chevy Small Blocks on a Budget

Any other books that I should get or look into.

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

HP Books make several books. How to rebuild, how to hot rod whatever engine. they are available at most auto parts stores, western auto, auto zone, pepboy type places. Although the info is old, the theory's haven't changed. what are you planning on doing with your truck? I am a through and through big block kinda guy! I think a mild big block has more power and reliability than a wild smallblock anyday.

3. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Check out Hasting's book store. They usually carry those books.

4. unicknn

unicknn 1/2 ton status

Well i just want to build a really bad ass engine from scratch over the next 3 years. I have a 5.7L 350 now and its pretty reliable but as soon as I leave cali I want to drop a high performance engine in. I just want to go buy either a 350 or 454 block from a jy and work from there. build it in the garage. I want to have a supercharger But those are really expensive and Ill have to see how money comes.

5. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

If you can afford to, build a 454. It will cost more but you will also have a lot more power.

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I kinda disagree with you on the cost part. If you look at the power of a BB and the cost to rebuild one. as to what has to be done to a SB to get that power, a mild BB will have more power for less$$. Thats after the initial purchase cost. I can get SB for $150-200. a running BB is going for $700. machine costs are the same, most rebuild kits are 100.00 more than SB. but you cant get that kind of low RPM torque from a stock/mild SB. The cubes will win! You can spend alot of money making any SB build a ton of power.

7. blueturd

blueturd Registered Member

If you decide on using a SBC, go to the library and look for a book by David Vizard . This guy is some guru freak that build race motors, but some of it still applies especially the lower end stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif