Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Boosting power on a NA 6.5

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by zcarczar, Jun 14, 2004.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

My father bought a Hummer this weekend with a NA 6.5 in it and he says its too slow. He wants to upgrade it so it will pull ok with bigger, heavier tires. Ive searched around and found that you can get new injectors, and some other random stuff but does any of this work? And is it a manual or electronic injection pump since its a '95.

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I *believe* it is a manual pump.

It is also compatible with the burb's banks system you were talking about before. That should give it some extra oooomph.

BTW, how much did he get that sucker for? Always had a soft spot for them, Dunno how well they tow though.

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

He got the hummer for $24,000. I found a place called Heath's Diesel Performance and he is going to call them today and see what they say. I drove the thing around yesterday and I can say that it is indeed a pig, definately needs some more oomph to keep up with traffic.

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I think the electronic pumps came out in 96 or 97...

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Come to think of it, I dont think any of the NA versions came with electronics.

Its one heavy truck. 37 " tires and 50 lb wheels dont help much neither. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Get a turbo kit for it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Should wake it up some.

6. diesel depot

diesel depot Newbie

I've helped to pick the power up on several 6.5L NA Hummers. I'll list some of the basics that will give you more power.
    1. 6.5L Turbo Injecotors (larger nozzels w/ higher pop pressure)
    2. Adjust timing (most trucks with higher mileage are running around with timing retarded and are loosing perf.)
    3. Check to see that you are indeed getting full throttle at WOT (most trucks that I have seen are not, but it is easy to adjust)
    4. Adjust the trottle position switch on the injector pump (this controlls the shift points of the 4l80e tranny and may make the tranny shft too soon before the engine gets up to peak power)
    5. A more extreme option is to actually port match the intake manifold (I've found the hummer intakes to be casted with smaller intake ports)
    6. If you don't get into a bunch of deep water you can take out part of the air filter housing baffle to help air flow
    7. Finally, if you can't get any black smoke out of the exhaust you have room to turn up the fuel metering screw in the injector pump

I hope this helps.

Jamie Avant
    Diesel Depot

7. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Welcome to the CK5 home Jamie, it's really good to have your expertise here! I PM'ed you a couple of questions about buying an IP, and maybe a used engine.
    Mark