Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Boots for Shocks through the bed

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by zcarczar, Apr 12, 2005.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I was looking at your buildup page on wally and saw you had some nifty boots for the shocks when you were still running a full body with 63's in the back. What did you use to make those? Thanks.

2. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

If its the pictures and truck I'm thinking of (and if not, well, heres a good idea), its actually the seal for a sewer vent through the roof of your house. Get them at home depot/lowes, its a galvenized flashing with a rubber boot on top meant to fit over a 1.5" or 2" pipe

3. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

They were in fact roof vent termination jacks from Home depot. They were installed in the parking lot of a home depot in Las Vegas on the way to TTC 01.

We used the cheapo plastic ones and split them to allow them to slip over the shock. They worked well but the shocks traveled a big enough path that they pulled the boots off of the floor on one side.

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

They really didn't seal up that well, the ones that might work better is the rubber bellows type, they might actually have enough wiggle room to stay sealed up OK. The roof jacks we used did close off the big hole in the floor but typically had a 1/2" gap around the shock.
    The best way might be to just build a housing to seal off the entire shock. It's more fab work but would be a more positive seal. And would keep any moving parts away from the people that might be riding along.

5. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Interesting, a friend of mine suggested that I use shifter boots, but I cant find one that big, but actually I may just enclose the shocks, I need to tube the truck anyway so I geuss it wouldnt be that big of deal.