Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

boots up/boots down

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 72jim, Aug 13, 2001.

1. 72jim

72jim 1/2 ton status

when putting on shocks does it matter if the boots are up or down(top or bottom). i've seen pics of the same type of vehicle set up both ways.hhhmmm?

72 jimmy

2. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

If you mean inverting your shocks, you'll have to find out if the shocks can be ran that way. I currently run ProComp 3000's inverted(upside down) in the rear and it rides horribly. The only reason I'm running it like this is because They won't fit the other way untill I have my mounts relocated. I also wouldn't recommend using the shock boots unless your gonna leave them loose. Reason being is all they do is trap the water and dirt in against your seals and shorten the life of your shock. That is what happened to mine. I removed the shock to replace it and when I took the boot off I had about a cup of dirt come out.

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF CHATA?

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Anyone else ever notice that the "bellows" on most shock boots is not designed right? Install the shock boot over that little lip on the eyelet side, then ziptie the other end to the shock body. When you compress the shock all the way, the boot completely interferes with the upper shock bolt. Odds are good that it will get torn or trapped up in that area.

At first, it seems that maybe the boot is too long, and it's the excess that's getting pinched/trapped. If you shorten the boot (or move the other end further down the shock body) to prevent binding at the top under compression...then under extension, the boot will get too stretched out, and will pull off at the top eyelet!!!!

The problem is that the "bellows" on the shock boot are too small. If you imagine a cross-sectional view of the boot, it looks like a zig-zag shape. Well that zig-zag shape needs to be more exaggerated to allow this to work properly......

Maybe nobody else cares about stuff like this....but it pissed me off when I went to install my new RS9000s and realized that there is NO possible way to install the shock boots correctly. [​IMG]

Does anyone know of an aftermarket source that supplies 'correctly designed' shock boots?

-Greg72

4. 72jim

72jim 1/2 ton status

RS9000'S is what i just put on the front of the truck. i zip tied the upper part to the body of the shock and just let the lower catch the lip when i extended them they looked ok but i didn't compress them to check the difference. i put the boots to the bottom because of where the adjustment knob was located and that got me to thinking if inverting the shock matters.....?

72 jimmy

5. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Some shocks can be run inverted, some can't. I ran the rear RS9000s on my 4Runner inverted with no ill effects. I also had to add BIG drain holes to the boots so that they'd drain (I opened up the drain holes on the front boots too).