Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Booty Fab Deluxe

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yellowK20, Aug 22, 2006.

1. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well I was half way through my 56" spring swap on my the front of my K20 Bogger project . I got to mocking up the front hangers and I said to my self " Self , this **** ain't gonna be stout enough" and my Self replied "your right better beef it up some".
    So I figured I'd go with a B-52 kit from DIY.... not a bad price but I need a little more "beef" about that time My buddy drops buy and gives me a set of Fabtech front spring hangers for a Super Duty and says "hey man you should put these on your F-350" cool I thought I'll just buy the rest of the kit and......... "aw ****" I'm planning on trading the Ford on a new 6.7 Cummins -no sense putting money in this thing. So I got these brackets and a welder and nothing to do on a Saturday.................
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ok my welds suck this I know I have a hard time welding vertically and all my rod is very old . and the square tube is for "mock-up" purposes only . it's gonna have a 3" Body lift. I'm also welding outside ..... dodging monsoons any Ideas/complaints????? I'm a bit concerned about my shackle angle it seems to much for absolutely no load

2. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Did you move the front hangers forward any? That angle is alot, with load its gonna be all up in that body mount.

3. yellowK20

yeah there actually 1/2" forward of were the "stock" brackets would be if swapped to the front of the core support mount I might end up using a set of 52" springs instead of the 56"
    I'm also going to be grinding the front cab mounts of and moving them up to flush with the top of the frame which should give me enough room ??????

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

nice body lift. :rolleyes:

5. yellowK20

like I said for "mock up purposes only" the P.O. did that they were welded to the frame.

6. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

Bake the rod in the oven for a few hours to dry it out. That'll help.

7. yellowK20

Thanks I'll try that I've got like 20 pounds of it hate to throw it away I bought a big tupperware container to keep it in the other day so this don't happen again

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

also, if you really plan on running a shackle that long, you may consider crossbracing the plates, looks like you'll pretzel them in no time.

9. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I think you will be happier if you move the front hanger foreward, or since you are relocationg the body mount move the shackle hanger to where with no weight on it it is at a 90.

looks good

10. yellowK20

Beater,the shackles are 1/2 inch barstock and are only 7.5 " between the holes (1/4" more than DIY shackles ) they shouldn't bend ..... but they will get a crossbar anyways
    Scooby, That's a good Idea about movig the rear mount i think what happen is that I didn't account for the front of the spring being lower now even though the hole is forward of where it would be using the relocated stock brackets I think that's what's pushing my shackle angle back so far
    as it sits via plumb bob measuring form a referance point on the frame (center hole of the bumpstop mount) the front axle will be 3" forward of the stock location

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

they look so much longer than my 6.25" shackles did. how wide are they? are those 9/16" bolts?

IMAG0013.JPG

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

the fact that mine were moved forward in the frame might have something to do with that too. :dunno:

13. yellowK20

2" wide 1/2" barstock 7.5" from center to center the bolts are just junk I had laying around in fact one of them is a broken Allen wrench:eek1: the whole truck is in "mock up" I'll be pulling it apart for paint and the Cab will be having the cage Insatlled and then replaced

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

hmmm, mine were actually 7.25" ctr to ctr. i just came across the post in the classifieds from when i sold my bushings.

15. yellowK20

It's kind of an Eyef#ck really I made them 11" overall that way I could round of the corners and still have plenty of material that might be what makes them look longer