Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BOP 425/455 motors in a blazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Seventy4Blazer, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i can get a Buick 455 and 425 for cheap(like free, with the exception of my time.)
    i know the 425 has a forged crank. i do not know if ethier of them run. they have sat for a LONG time. i know i would open them up and see what kind of condition they are in, replace a few parts for sh!ts and giggles and hopefully turn key to go.
    my main concern is this. with an adaptor plate in between the aluminum SM465 BH and the motor will the BH make it for very long?

another question is what about motor mounts, fly wheel/clutch? are they all the same?

they have autos behind them now, and autos and i DO NOT get along.

any aditional input would be GREAT.
    Grant

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

What vintage Buick are we talking about? The only 425 I can recall was the "Nailhead" last seen in the 66 models. I had one in a 65 Wildcat and it was a stump puller, yet it would repeatedly rev to 6500 without complaint. Hard to find parts for, and you'd likely need to get hardened seats installed in the heads for it to live on today's gas. Oh yeah, it had 10.25:1 compression so you'd need to run premium fuel for sure.

The 455 was also not a bad motor, sorta weak oiling though. TA performance sells some decent parts for the 455 Buick's, including new front cover and oil pump assemblies with many improvements.

www.taperformance.com

Both are much spendier than Chev stuff for rebuilding and stuff...

Rene

3. IronMan

IronMan 1/2 ton status

Lakewood makes a bellhousing to bolt a Buick/Olds/Pontiac engine to the SM465 Tranny. Getting it into the engine compartment I dont know about.

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

k, prices suck....
    i need a better paying job...
    the 425 is in a delta 88. cant remember the year, but its OLD.
    im still wondering about the aluminum bell housing...
    also would this space the clutch away from the flywheel or what?
    grant

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

425 Olds...

If you're thinking BOP motors I'd lean towards the Pontiac myself...455 is near the same weight as the small block Chev and makes stupid torque./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Prices should be better than Olds or Buick too...the Poncho's are more popular to build and have a better aftermarket support.

I did read the 5.7 diesel block (Olds 350 block) can be converted to a gas engine and due to the extra wall thickness it can be bored and stroked to 440 cubes.../forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

6. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Rene, a 455 is not the same weight as a SBC. I have a 400 Pontiac (all Pontiac motors are the same dimensionally) shortblock in my parents' garage and my dad and I have to drag it around it is so damn heavy. I can lift a SBC shortblock by myself. If you ever put a fully assembled Pontiac motor on an engine stand it can be a harrowing experience! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I will agree. Both of the pontiac motors I have build on a stand leaned bigtime on my 4 leg engine stand. But the chevys I have build didnt even phase the engine stand. My engine stand is rated to 750 lbs. The pontiacs motors are about the same weight as a BBC. Look for a pontiac motor if you are going to do a BOP swap. Also find one out of a manual car so that way you dont have to get the motor rebalanced(flywheels are alot heavier than flexplates). And even the "little" pontiac 350 will amaze you. I have a pontiac 350 in my firebird that is all stock down to the 2 barrel heads, except for a cam, intake, and carb. The car with me in it weight 3500 lbs, and on a 150 hp shot of nitrous runs 11.15s /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dan

8. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

The Olds motor is a great alternative. You can also use a set of 5.7 diesel pickup engine mounts to make it fit.