Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BOP 455....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustBuket, Jan 25, 2004.

1. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

There is a local guy with a buick 455 and he says it'll bolt up to any chevy tranny. What other kind of modifications would my '81 Blazer require to shove a big block in it? Its fairly cheap but needs rebuilding. Anyone got experience with this swap?

2. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

BOP motors are just that... Buick, Olds and Pontiac. The tranny bolt pattern is specific to those three only. Chevy tranny's won't bolt up as far as I know. I have a Buick 455 I want to put in a 4x4, and I'm going to have to use the Buick TH400 tranny and a divorced T-case. I suppose there are other ways you could make that motor work in a 4x4.

3. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

So basically it would be a completele redesign of the drive line... Well that sucks because I was hoping it'd be easier than that... O well I'll keep my eyes peeled for a nice 454 or something. Or maybe I should just stick with the freshly rebuilt 305 that has a few hundred thousand more miles to live yet.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Well, a 454 would probably be better and easier.

I've heard that the Buick 455's are a little different than the Olds and Pontiac motors. The Buick motors have the distributor in the front which mounts through the water pump, and I've heard this is a worse setup than other Olds/Pontiac 455's. But I'm no expert on these motors.

What tranny and T-case are you running now and what do you want to run?

5. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Well no, you can buy an adapter for like 80 bucks from summit or jegs.

6. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Alright guys thanks alot. I think I'll stick to chevy being as this motor had a knock when it was removed and two rods need replacing (who replaces two rods?) and the crank needs regrinding. etc! But a 454 would be very very very sweet!

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

An adapter for mating a BOP motor to a Chevy tranny can be used. They can be found for less than 80, not that difficult to find.

It depends on how much of a challenge you like. BOP swaps aren't that difficult, but can be time consuming....

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

It will bolt up to a Chevy tranny, only the th350c and 2004r with dual bellhousing patterns. Mostly found in gm g-body cars. So just get a 350 chevy, almost everyone has one in their backyard somewhere. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You might want to ask 84K5BD. He's a cool guy and has a sweet K5 with a 455 under the hood.

10. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

WAIT! There IS a way to bolt a Buick 455 up to a sm465 tranny!!!

There are two ways to do this:

Pre 1981 chevy-gmc diesels. They used the Olds 5.7l diesel bolted to a sm465. Supposedly these will work. However these trucks are very rare. 've never seen one and only heard of them a few times.

The second, and easiest way, would be to go over to a Jeep bellhousing maker. Jeep guys love using Buick V6's and sm465's. Bellhousing bolt patterns on Buick V6's and Big Block Buicks are exactly the same. The bellhousings run around $300 new.

As for Olds and Pontiac 455's I can't help ya as they use different bolt patterns. But I hope this helped out some for the Buick!

11. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

It is called BOP (c) for a reason, all the same tranny bolt pattern. Oddly enough, Chevy was the odd man out, and look who won in the end, because of favoritism /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif