Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Border Security ?????

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gjk5, Oct 13, 2006.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Republican uses animals, mariachi band to critique border security

October 11, 2006 — Reports of an elephant crossing the river or people trying to smuggle an elephant across were rampant Tuesday while an elaborate political stunt was taking shape near the mouth of the Rio Grande.

It was a while later that the stunt, which was a photo shoot, was abruptly met by federal agents.

He was in Brownsville to raise funds with friends and decided to get a first-hand look at border security while he was here, he said.

In Brownsville, he witnessed half a dozen men swim under one of the international bridges “with complete immunity” which in turn prompted him to take the immigration issue to the next level.

Bhakta decided to see if he could get an elephant accompanied by a six-piece mariachi band across the river.

“To my surprise, the band played on, the elephants splashed away, and nobody showed up,” Bhakta said of the stunt. “I’m astounded.”

The elephants came from Shrine Circuses, said James Plunkett, who produces the circus. They arrived in Brownsville on Monday and were scheduled to be on their way to Maybank on Tuesday afternoon. The elephants and the crew were at the Rio Grande for less than an hour, Plunkett said.

Plunkett said he and his crew were hired for a “photo shoot” and entered the Boca Chica beach area without any notice from the Border Patrol. However, when it became clear that the elephants were in a quarantined area, the Border Patrol alerted the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and the elephants had to be detained.

The animals needed to be sprayed for ticks.

He said he was “staggered” by what happened on Tuesday and was planning on sharing the story with his potential constituents.

“If I can get an elephant led by a mariachi band into this country, I think Osama bin Laden could get across with all the weapons of mass destruction he could get into this country,” Bhakta said.

The mariachi band was not immediately available for comment.

Even funnier is that I grew up down there and watched people walk/swim/float across that river all the time.

2. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

The missus has to go to Reynosa Mexico on business soon and I'm nervous as all get out. I think she is staying in McAllen Texas during the night.

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

They need only pass a spelling test to enter...:p:

4. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Aaahhh! Reynosa's my old stomping ground. McAllen is where I grew up. As long as she stays out of the "Zona Rosa" she'll be OK. If she is going by taxi tell her to always get the nicest looking taxi no matter how much more it is, safer and more comfortable. Also, the phrase "Disculpe me senor" (sp?) along with a $20 or $50 will get you out of just about anything.:D

Seriously though, as Mexican "frontera" towns go, Reynosa is not bad at all and has only improved with the maquilas going in.

5. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

you sir, are merciless.:D

6. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Fortunately six of them are going. Otherwise I was going to go with her just to keep an eye on her. I did some homework on the place and it is a pretty big city. I told her only to carry her passport, a few bucks for meals, and a cel phone but that's it. I'll pass on the advice on the taxi.