Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BORGESON STEERING SHAFT

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigTex, May 22, 2003.

1. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Dudes and dudettes, I just installed the Borgeson Steering shaft last night on my '79. For those of you who are interested, I know a while back there was some confusion on this subject. Here goes...

I was going to order it from Summit, but the only one they have there basically is a minor upgrade from OEM (in my opinion--and not worth the price). It still utilizes the factory rag joint. It uses a u-joint on the opposite end. So I called Borgeson, asked about this, and they do offer a custom steering shaft with u-joints on both ends. I also have a 3" body lift. So I ordered that one. Install is straight forward, although the double "D" end on the steering column was a bit worn, so the install did require quite a bit of elbow grease and minor tapping to get the ujoint on the column end to slide over the double "D" end. Price was about $260.00--I haven't checked my credit card statement. You have to cut a little to get an exact custom fit.

Yeah, I know its a bit pricey but it is a pretty solid piece. I haven't given it a test run but if any of you want to see pics just let me know. I'll post a follow-up after I change my steering wheel and give it a test run.

2. jhrody

jhrody 1/2 ton status

good to know how it went...i might be needing one of those shafts

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i only have 1" of bodylift, but the standard borgeson shaft has worked really well for me so far. Prolly helps that hydro does all the work.

is the 2nd u-joint the kinda thing u could add to a reg borg shaft or is it a whole different setup?

j

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I have a Borgeson steering shaft too.

I did not elect to get the one that replaces the rag joint with a second ujoint. I did some research and I found that the lack of a rag joint causes a lot of vibration to be felt at the wheel.
    I love my shaft - no play at all.
    About body lifts - they are easily adjustable for any body lift.

TO add the second ujoint, you would have to grind the welded on rag joint end off the Borgeson double-D shaft and then install the ujoint using an allen wrench to tighten the hold-down allen bolt.

-- Mike

5. BlazerWheels

BlazerWheels 1/2 ton status

I had read somewhere that replacing your steering shaft helps take away some of the play that exists in old 4x4's. Is this true? What would I need to check to see if this would help? Not trying to hijack your thread, just curious.

6. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Well, I think on the one with the rag joint end the little plate is welded on, so you would have to cut that part off and then just bolt the other u-joint on the end of that. The ujoints are identical on both sides. The only difference is that the ujoint at the steering box has splines to slip over the steering box end.

7. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Actually, steering wheel play can be caused by several things. But yes, if your OEM steering shaft and rag joint are shot (along with a leaky steering box), then the new shaft should alleviate a lot of the problem. And yes, the rag joint does serve to eliminate some vibration. Because I got the one with 1 solid ujoints on both ends, it is inevitable that road vibration will go up through the shaft to the steering wheel. Borgeson also sells a vibration damper that can be added to the steering shaft that I got. However, I chose not to buy that--didn't want to spend more money.

I'll post pics maybe this weekend and I'll also give it a test drive and give you guys a review. Oh--and I also put in a new steering box and new power steering pump and lines so this will hopefully help, too. Plus, I'm taking out the Grant steering wheel that I have. After driving with it for over a year, I realized that I just don't like smaller steering wheels on big trucks. I'm putting the stocker back on. Plus, the horn button on the Grant kept popping out. It sucks not having a horn--especially in a big truck.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

lol, i hear ya on the grant wheels horn button. I love having a smaller (but thicker) steering wheel tho. I just need to rig up a different type of horn button and I'll be set. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

9. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

when I bought my Jimmy, the PO had already stuck a little Grant Wheel on it. I didn't like the feel of a little wheel on a big truck either. I ended up buying a Grant Racing wheel P/N 677. It's nice and big, but the horn button for this series sucks /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I'm gonna see if I can have one my machinist turn up something to fit a better button. I'm left with just Diesel roar and hand gestures now /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Dudes and dudettes, I just installed the Borgeson Steering shaft last night on my '79. For those of you who are interested, I know a while back there was some confusion on this subject. Here goes...

I was going to order it from Summit, but the only one they have there basically is a minor upgrade from OEM (in my opinion--and not worth the price). It still utilizes the factory rag joint. It uses a u-joint on the opposite end. So I called Borgeson, asked about this, and they do offer a custom steering shaft with u-joints on both ends. I also have a 3" body lift. So I ordered that one. Install is straight forward, although the double "D" end on the steering column was a bit worn, so the install did require quite a bit of elbow grease and minor tapping to get the ujoint on the column end to slide over the double "D" end. Price was about $260.00--I haven't checked my credit card statement. You have to cut a little to get an exact custom fit.

Yeah, I know its a bit pricey but it is a pretty solid piece. I haven't given it a test run but if any of you want to see pics just let me know. I'll post a follow-up after I change my steering wheel and give it a test run.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probaly a stupid question, but I wanted to ask just to make sure: You only need a longer steering shaft if you do a BODY lift right? A suspension lift wouldn't affecy anyhthing would it?

11. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

As long as you didn't move the steering box on the frame as a part of your susp. lift, you're OK.

12. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

You don't need a longer steering shaft for any type of lift made by a major company. Body lifts up to 3" is just fine for the stock shaft. Suspension lifts do not change the length of the steering column shaft, so no mods would be needed.