Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Borgeson steering shafts?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ak bandit, May 30, 2006.

1. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

Do they make them for '69-'72 K5's? I see they have them for the '73+. Whats the difference between the first gen and second gen steering? I'm interested in replacing my steering shaft and rag joints.

2. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    i talked to the guys over at borgeson a while back & they don't have a specific application for us Gen1s...not sure what the difference is, but they can fab one up, all they need are some measurements to build one for you...let me know how it goes because i'm leaning towards getting one from them...

3. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

I would use Flaming River for my money. my bud ran a street rod shop for about 5 years and they tried Borgeson and found then to be substandard. after trying Flaming River several times installing them in a bunch of classic cars they were so happy with the product from them they became a dealer for Flaming River. I can try to find out if there is a spicific application for what you need. I have a 70' chevy 3/4 ton LB, I would like to put one in my truck too someday.

4. RGV72BLAZER

i had also heard about Flaming River but hadn't really heard anything bad about Borgeson...i guess i too will have to look into their products

5. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

I know they had one break, also had a problem with the weld on Borgeson unit because you cant take them apart to rebuild them, so when you weld it on the grease cooks out of it some what then you get premature wear from lack of grease. the flaming river unit you can take them apart and rebuild them so when you weld it on you take the half you need to weld and weld it on and let it cool down then put it back together.

he also said the borgeson is plain steel and will rust, you have to paint it. flaming river is nickle plated. they also have a all stainless one too. I talked to him a bit ago about one for 67-72 application. he said you use two universal joints and the shaft inbetween the universals. they also make slip shaft, shafts too. he said in the nickle plated units he would change the steel set screws out to SS also.
    hope this helps

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I have Borgsen Dshaft w/ujoint & vibration dampner. Works great.
    I can't recall why I didn't go with FRiver..I remember shoping at both places but duno what made me go Borgsen.
    Anyway if you count the splines on your steering box and get the cut to fit D-shaft yer good to go...
    Found this old pic:
    [​IMG]
    This is with my first ujoint at the steering with no vibration dampner..I put the BBC in with comp engine mounts and I was worried about vibration so I upgraded...
    Here is the top:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is the VDampner but it's cover in mudd...

7. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've delt with and been happy with Borgeson to date.
    I'm running their steering shaft joints on my off road blazer with no complaints so far.

Fast shipping and good customer service. :bow: (and on the east coast too)

8. RGV72BLAZER

burt you just wanted to show off your bbc :eek1: :D

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Shhhh you will blow my cover :p: :haha: