Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Borken Dana 60 knuckles from Highsteer????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Flexy K20, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

I was informed from Shaggy that doing Highsteer on a Dana 60 can infact break the top of the knuckle? I was curious if this is a common thing or rare and what are the chances of it happening? What can be done to prevent it? ANY INFO on this would be great! Please! Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -fLeXy K20

2. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I guess I'll put what I've heard on this thread too. Running large tires with highsteer can break off the top of the knuckles, especially when you put a hydro assist system on it. Do a search on PBB for pics. </font>

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

My take on it is this: (FWIW)

With stock steering your unlikely to break it with high steer. Though big tires and agressive driving may still do it in...

With hydro-assist, you just increased you chances dramatically due to the power of the ram. This is one of the key reasons I backed off of high steer...

I think most of them that are breaking the knuckles repeatedly are running full hydro steer with big tires and VERY agressive driving. Some are also running Ford D60s which have a thinner knuckle.

5. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

I think I am going to go ahead and go with it. I wheel pertty hard but I dont slam on my truck. I also only have 36's now but my next set is 42's. I also plan to do the WTO hydro setup, so if worse comes to worse and I brake them I guess I will have to get some of the new Rockstomper knuckes or something. I'll deal with it when it comes up I guess. Does anyone know how often this happens. I know it all depends but what are the chances? Thanks
    -fLeXy K20

6. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i asked brian waddel and his buddy jason (cornfed) about Highsteer and Hyrdro assist, and if they have had any problems with their knuckles, the answer was no, they are both hard on their rigs to say the least, both are running 44" inch boggers, waddel has a FI 454, and Jason has a 383, so they arent short for power.... personally im gonna go with hydro first, and just run a beefy tie rod, and wait for awhile to hear from the guys who are running highsteer and hydro.......

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Aren't those mostly mud rigs? The broken knuckles are mostly beat on rock crawlers. Much higher impact stresses there...

8. Silver84k5

mud rigs? no they are not, they do mud, but they do rocks and trails aswell. TTC wasnt only mud.

9. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

no but it was rock-lite.

10. Silver84k5

rock-lite? well i dunno, im not gonna get into a discussion about what he does with his truck, all i know is i saw him beat on it pretty good, in the rock crusher, and another nice hill climb, (you can see rock crusher in april petersons mag)

11. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

TTC is rock-lite. Mini-Pubicon aint shiat. I dunno the guy so i don't know what else he wheels, but TTC is rock-lite

12. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Oh Zakk, you must really be the $h!t to think the Mini-Con is nothing. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif There's more rocks in that one obstacle than there are in some states. You gotta understand that to most people that's pretty hardcore. Not everybody has 39.5+ tires and a wife to make drive their ass through it. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Hell, it still intimidates me. I'm not as hard-core as you though, I'm still just a Mini-Phat-Kid. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif</font>

13. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green"> Oh Zakk, you must really be the $h!t to think the Mini-Con is nothing. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif There's more rocks in that one obstacle than there are in some states. You gotta understand that to most people that's pretty hardcore. Not everybody has 39.5+ tires and a wife to make drive their ass through it. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Hell, it still intimidates me. I'm not as hard-core as you though, I'm still just a Mini-Phat-Kid. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

no need to get pushy! Hammers opened my eyes. I'm not even a wheeler anymore. I just cruse malls and let the truck sit at my place so everyone can see i drive one of those "big truck things"

And TTC is quickly becoming a Tube-Buggy competition. I'm glad Matt and Toby will be in it...actual factroy frames.

no need to get mean about it. damn.

15. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about running a high steer. Just because one of the tie rod holes in my '60 is damaged. But I wasn't sure I liked turning thru the studs, that and I want to do sled pulls which is really hard on front end parts. So I'll plan on finding another knuckle and running a HD tie rod.