Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Borregok5's shackle flip... ???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Sep 10, 2002.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Borregok5\'s shackle flip... ???

OK...

So right now i have 6 inch lift.. block and add a leaf...

I hate that damn block!!!

If i get the b's shackle, and some ford springs, what esle do i need to do to fit them in there?

Do i have to move anything.... Or do i just get teh 57 inchers, his bracket, and bolt away?
    It's a 74 k5 if that really makes a diff...

2. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Re: Borregok5\'s shackle flip... ???

I just got through doing this. To achieve your 6 inches you want you will need to lengthen your shackles a couple of inches, or you can go buy the longer ones that are built for the low rider guys(I think they are around $50 a set). The spring pin bolt on the ford springs is 1.5 inches forward of the original GM location. You will either need to redrill the spring pack 1.5 inches back or you can drill a new hole in the spring pearch and the top plate and leave the bolt in its original location.

I was running 6 inch springs and I went with 1.5 inch longer shackles and I am 1/2 inch shorter than I was.

Mike

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I like the idea of drilling the spring plate and perch, it would be worth adding to the write up on the 57" springs swap, got pics?

I'm running the 4 leaf+overload 57's on a 6" shackle (2" longer) and sitting a little high in the back compared to my current 4" front lift. My curiosity with the 5 1/2" shackles you made is with the rested shackle angle, are they at about 45 degrees? Would you say a 6 1/2" shackle would provide an even 6" of lift with the 57's. This is great info.

4. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I don't have any pictures, but I can sure take some for you. I am going to pull it back apart and bolt a 1.5 x 2.5 x 5 inch block to the springs using a longer bolt to get my desired lift. While I have it apart I will take some good pictures for you. I would say that I achieved 5 to 5.5 inches of lift from my setup with the 4 plus overload 57 inch ford springs and my "custom" extended shackles. Yes, at rest the shackles are pointed back at about a 45 degree angle.

I decided that drilling the spring pearch and plate(I actually used my torch to blow a hole in the spring plate) was much easier than drilling a new hole on the spring pack.

I will e-mail you the pictures once I take them, it should be later in the week.

Mike

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Thats great, thanks. I'm really interested in the custom aproaches and higher lifts that people are starting to construct like yourself. A lot of good ideas for the budget minded extremist! Might have to do a feature on your setup on my site!

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I got over 6" of lift from his shackle alone.

7. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

The most the shackle bracket can provide is 5 3/4" unless its drilled to provide more or installed backward which might give you another 1/4" (but hurt your flex potential). Variations in the rest of the system can add or subtract from your lift in a multitude of ways.

Read your other post, see you when you get back!

8. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

So if I use Borrego's flip can I use my stock springs or what other lengths can I use?

Thanks

9. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Mounted forward you can run 52" stock springs, mounted backward you can run 56" with an extreme stock shackle angle (minus an inch off the lift) and various length shackles can get you up to the 57" long springs as well as define a few inches of lift.

10. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

I was reading the write up and wanted to know if the Ford springs drilled all at once or one at a time. What are the UHMV snap-on tips he was talking about and where do you get new spring center bolts. I have looked at many options in lifts and I think I will go with this one. The pictures in the write up are hard to see on my computer thats why I have to ask all the questions. One more thing, if I buy the Echobit shackle flip will I still need to move the hanger to the rear ov the vehicle?

I know there is a lot here and there will probably be more about pinion angle later, but thats how I learn.

Thanks,
    Charles

11. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Hi Charles, depending on what tools you have available you can drill each leaf or the whole pack at once. I would not, however, only redrill the main leaf and slide the pack back. as for the UHMV snap-on tips, I believe thats Canadian for Teflon pads, right Rene? /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif With the bolt on shackle flip you do not need to move the hanger back unless you want to re-use the stock 4" shackles. You can buy or make 6" shackles which will provide a good 45 degree shackle angle and keep the hanger in the stock unmodified location. Regardless of the type of shackle flip you go with your pinion angle will change, straight shafts should have equal but opposite U-Joint angles at each end and CV style shafts should have the pinion inline straight with the driveshaft. In both cases its good to compensate a few degrees, pinion nose down, for axle wrap.

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I drilled each leaf individually. The center pins, UHMV tips, degree shims and U-bolts were all purchased at a local spring shop. Check you local Yellow pages for one that's probably near you. This particular shop builds springs for semi's and also does all sorts of aftermarket stuff for light trucks too.

The tips are a factory piece to help the springs slide smoothly over each other as the spring cylces. This particular spring shop had all sorts of factory replacement tips in stock.

My truck had no driveline vibes previous to the spring swap so I took some reference measurements and used a 3 degree shim to get my angle the same with the new springs.

Rene

13. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

How long are you planning on producing these Borrego?

Thanks

14. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

As long as I have my Blazer to beat up on, I'll be making these and other related items. I may decide to go back into engineering on a consulting basis to keep my skills fresh this winter. I'd scale back production a bit, but not completely.