Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Boss Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Scuba Steve, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Registered Member

Im looking for some 5.25 or 6.5 speakers to put into the doors. I know just about all speakers dont fit so I will make a ring to mount them and angle up alittle. Want to stick with marine rated speakers in case they get wet or muddy. Seen alot of stores sell these. They any good and if not could anyone recommend some. I have a Alpine 9851, Pioneer 6x9s in the rear, 3.5 Rockford Fosgate's in the dash and am looking at getting a Clarion marine amp to go along.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I know Clarion makes some decent marine speakers. Boss doesn't have a very good reputation, so I'd shy away from them personally.

3. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've listened to some of the cheap BOSS speakers and I don't think they sound bad for what they are. How long will they last is another question. Compared to the other cheap speakers they had on the board, they sounded the warmest and most lifelike to me. That said, I bought the Blaupunkt speakers because they were cheaper, sounded almost as good and I have had good luck with Blaupunkt in the past.

4. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I like their bar mount clamps - ordered 2 of the 2" to see how well they work for mounting stuff to my cage :D

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have made the mistake of buying Boss stuff I had a Boss HU and speakers. Never Again.. Its cheap junk IMO. You get exactly what you pay for. The HU faceplates went bad.I went thru 3 of them before the warrente was up. And it really didn't sound all that great. It skipped bad off road..
    I put 2 Boss 5.25 speakers in my Mustang. To replace a set of 15 year old JBLs. My stock system, with the tiny little stock amp blew out one of the speakers. They didn't sound too bad. But. Went back to the stock JBL speakers they sound better.
    The rice boy down the street had a Boss amp in his Eclipse. It blew up.
    Thats all I know about Boss.

6. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Boss is in the same league as Pyramid, Legacy and Jensen. To some people, its 'junk'. To others, its just right. I would personally never use Boss, Id pay a bit more for better quality, but not everyone has my same priorities. Ive heard some systems with 'cheap' brands that sounded pretty good. If you just want a simple upgrade and don't really consider yourself and audiophile at all, it'd probably be okay. But, if you are at all concerned about their quality not being up to your satisfaction, they likely wont be.