Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bottom end eng repair with eng in rig?*** Follow up question!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by xtrmjoe, Aug 3, 2006.

1. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

Have a rod bearing that went. While taking it apart the crank bolt on the main pully broke off. So I am looking to do new crank and bearings, from summit. 350 4 bolt main in 86 K5 with 700r4
    Can this be done with the eng in the rig?

I did search did not find much

Thanks in advance

*** I knew it was a bad idea as soon as I typed it but thought I would check.
    Is there any trick I need to use to get a engine out of a blazer with 7" of lift and 37" tires. All the cherry pickers I have seen dont seem to be tall enough to get the engene high enough to get it out. I am sure there are bigger ones I could buy but if renting one how do I make sure it will work?
    The other reason I was asking is because I have the ord eng crossmember to put in so I was gonna cut out the old one to make more clearence in there.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2006
  2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It would be way too hard since the tranny would need to be moved backwards. Also you ever try to hold a crank over your head and also hold 8 con rods all at once? Pull the engine and do it correctly. Also if you lost a rod bearing the whole engine should get taken apart and the block boiled clean so as to remove any metal particles that got trapped in the oil galley's.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

yep...

Pulling the engine is the only way--its possible to do an "in chassis" overhaul,but I'd reserve that for cruel and unusual punishment only!--you save NO time,and your back will never be the same again,ever...

I did a set of rod and main bearings,but used a cotter pin bent a certain way to "roll" the shells in the mains..it sucked,it was 8 hrs of oil dripping in my eyes..and the motor only ran a few months before it REALLY seized tight!..(something I fully expected,since the crank was scored pretty good)..I'd just get another engine and drop it in,unless you've got thousands invested in this one or something..:crazy:

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

As everone said. Dont do it in the truck. It aint worth the time, trouble and pain. Far easier to pull the engine.

5. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Rent a cherry picker or borrow one. Just like the other replies, if you just throw a crank and rods in it, you'd be asking for trouble. I'd start looking for a replacement engine.

6. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

absolutely right. i almost tried that, to save a buck, but it would have been way too much hassle and left hidden damage that would bite me in the butt later.

7. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Yeah I think I saw that movie. Too much blood and guts, foul language. X rated, bad plot. Don't go there.:haha:

8. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

don't know where you're located, but i've got a cherry picker here in portland which you could use if you're nearby.

9. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I swapped a crank without removing the engine a long time ago.
    It was a 4.3 liter in an Astro van.
    I won't be doing that again.

10. 78GMCJIMMY

78GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

All I have to say is use a lil' common sense, you can pull the motor in under 2 hours esy. I can do mine in less than an hour but I have swapped motors multiple times. DO THE JOB RIGHT! Work SMART not Hard! One place you CAN NOT cut corners is in Engine rebuilding! As said Block must be cleaned, Crank Ground, Cylinders bored/Honed, New Pistons?, Bearings,ECT.....................GOOD luck ps Buy a crate motor and swap it in is the easiest fix, Half a day and done.

11. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

maybe stateing the obvious but.......

pull the 37's.....get a set of junkyard stock steel rims with no rubber....bolt crap rims on....wedge & block till secure. much lower working height = good

12. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info. I have done everything to this rig mysealf so far but the engine so its a new one for me. Them blocks are some heavy son of a guns and i did not want to get halfway into anything with out being sure I could finish.
    Where I am working on this truck is a hour plus to anywhere to rent/buy get parts and pickers, plus the cost of gas these days. so I had to explore all options.
    I may just go for a crate motor.

13. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

It cost less $ and time to do it this way.
    Harbor Freight @ $130.:D

cp.gif

14. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Buy a GM crate motor with their awesome parts and labor warranty, swap it in, and call it good.

15. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

also if you take the radiator support and grille out you wont have to jack the picker up as far

16. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

On mine, I set it down on the axle to get the engine up-n-over.
    GM crate motor by the way.