Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bottomed out my moms van today.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Aug 26, 2000.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I was going to AutoZone today and my mom said she needed gas in her van and she asked me to put some in on the way. I figured it would be cool because I wont waste my gas going up there. On the way back from AutoZone (which didn't have what I needed) there is an intersection that dips down then has a big bump in the middle and then dips down again. Its pretty fun to take in my Blazer and I can usually go 50-60 over it and its not too bad with its nice firm suspension[​IMG]. My moms van does not have a nice firm suspension and I bottomed out bad because i hit it at 65 and it jumped the second dip but ramped off it on the way up. I bounced hard a few times and naturally thought of the oil pan so I looked in the rearview mirror and I didn't see any oil. At home I parked it and didn't say anything until 30 mins later I walk out and theres a huge puddle of oil on the drive way. I called a dealer and asked them how much the oil pan is and they said $200. I asked them how much it really is and they hung up. I called another dealer and they said $87. I went and got it and put it on in less than an hour. Why cant I do this on my truck? Its working good now and my mom isn't too mad because it wasn't going to be in the shop for 2 days. The moral of this story-don't get gas for your mom. Anyone else do stupid s*** like this?

90K5

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I do stupid s#*@ like this almost every day![​IMG] At least you did the right thing and fixed it right away.
    Think of it this way she got a free oil change out of it did'nt she?

The other day I was pulling into the driveway and like a smart-a$$ I wanted to see how close I could get to the wifes car (don't try this at home kids[​IMG]) well of course I hit it! No it was not a peice of crap either! It was her baby (86 Mustang GT) that she's had from the showroom and had never even had a windsheild claim let alone an accident. Man did I feel stupid![​IMG] 2 busted tail lites! Good thing my bumper is that high or it would have involved paint and bodywork!

Just thought I would share!

[​IMG]

3. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I have a '73 K5 w/lift kit and a '96 Monte Carlo. Sometimes I forget which one I'm driving and bottom out the Monte. After the usual cussing I check it and so far no damage.

I got a good laugh when you said you asked the dealer how much it really was. Good one.

4. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I was out playing in my dad's 89 Camry LE (very fast with a performance suspension) while I was getting parts for the K5. I took a short cut between two parking lots that I take in my truck all the time, forgeting about the 3" difference between the dirt and the pavement, doing about 65mph. It hit so hard that the car went airborne and the first thing that went through my mind was the $800 set of magnesium wheels that I probably just destroyed. Luckily there wasn't any damage to the wheels or the suspension. All I could think of afterwards was how stupid that was.

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy

5. Cerote

Cerote Registered Member

One fine afternoon I was cruisin' around in the mountains in my wife's '99 Caravan when suddenly, I got a burr up my a** to check out a new trail. I got about 1/4 mile into it figuring I'd turn back before it got gnarly when, wouldn't you know, a rock tried to remove the muffler. I quickly came to my senses before any real damage was done and reversed outta there. I got away with that one. (whew!!!)

I was amazed at how much that darn thing could flex, though!!!

I H8 POSER TRUCKS!!!

6. Kelboski

Kelboski 1/2 ton status

LOL...the how much is it really, dealer thing...LOL....

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah I gotta remember that one LOL [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Ummmm, hit the gas to hard and put the rear end of my parent's NEW 93 Eagle Vision TSi into the back of the garage. I pushed the wall of the foundation, broke numerous 2x4's, and even snapped a 4x4 in the deck railing in half. Ooops.
    Backed my truck (when it was theirs) into the edge of the garage one day while my parents were gone for a few weeks. I wasn't even supposed to be driving it.
    This last one I wasn't driving, but I was in the car. Buddy of mine at home's (Middleville, Michigan) dad has a 86 or so Buick Grand National all stock, like 24,000 miles on it. Not a scratch or anything. He keeps it in a climate controlled garage, under a car cover, with an alarm on the building. He only drives it from June through August, and he claims it's never seen rain or wet conditions. It only gets like 2000 or so miles a summer on it. Well, one night, we were all over at his house, and he asked us if we wanted to ride in the GN. We were all confused, it was his dad's baby. Don't worry he says, the rest of the family is in Alabama for the next week and a half. Besides, his dad lets him drive it, and he actually takes it out every now and then and drives it. He reasoned that it was good for it since pops treats it like an old lady. So the 5 of us climb in (not one of us weighed less than 150lbs either, so she was squating some) and tear off into the night. Oh yeah, it's like 10PM too. We tear around through town and the country side. This road over by my place has this big ass hill with a good drop off on the other side. I actually managed to get my truck airborne on this hill at like 80mph (never doing that again though). So we start off for the hill. Doing like 100 when we hit it. Was freaking sweeeeettt! We flew half way down the hill before we touched ground again. Back end touches, and then the front end SLAMS DOWN! We heard this grinding noise, then everything goes back to normal. We stopped and checked everything as best as we could at night, all the gauges okay, not leaking, nothing looks screwed up. Get back to his place, take a good look. Ooooops. The oil pan drain plug is worn down right to the pan. Luckily the pan never got touched. We called up a buddy with a junked Buick, got him to get up, go outside, pull the plug off, and drive over. This is at like 1AM. Gotta love buddies like that. We had to use the tap to get the remainder of the plug out. Finally at about 4AM everything is cool and it looks good. We all split like his dad was standing right there. Year later when we graduated, his dad revealed to us at his graduation party that he had figured someone had switched plugs on him because he recognized that the drain plug on it wasn't the original. WOW! Luckily he was cool about it. He gave the car to my buddy. :o PHHHHHHEEEEEEWWWWWWW!!!

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's

9. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine was always stealing his parents car at night. He and another buddy screamed all over town in the midle of the night. They messed upp lots of times but he always managed to get himself in the clear.
    One time they had taken a curv to fast and slid into a metal fence by the road. He broke the right front lights and bent the fender a litle. What he did? Took the broken glass with him. Got the car back inn the garage, spread the glass infront of the car. Then stayed upp the rest of the night, waiting to hear his father getting upp for work. When he heard him he eagerly volenters to "go get the car out of the garage for you dad?" And offcource he's allowed.. Now he gets in the car and revs it upp. Slams it in first and popps the clutch. Straight into the garage wall.
    His father comes running out of the house. Sees the bent fender, all the glass (lots more than before). His son with a really sorry face, claiming the "clutch slipped" cause he had snow on his boots... And he gets away with it.

He's a hell off a friend though. But crazy when it comes to getting away with stuff..

http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com

10. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

too funny. i'm gonna get myself in trouble laughing at work!
    espen, your buddy is a quick thinker!
    a little later in the day i'll come back on the board and tell a story.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

11. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

Hey, I think WE ALL have done stupid things, its part of the passage into "adulthood". I've got my fair share. I drove my pride and joy 68 Camaro straight into a section of telephone pole on a turn circle in Tijuana. No joke. I had just picked it up from having it painted that same evening. Really nice, Viper red, white rally strips. Anyway, how bad was it? We had to swap in a new front subframe. Luckily no one got hurt.
    Probably the last dumb thing I did......I ROLLED a Saturn, enough said!!!!

12. I've got a couple good ones for ya. My first truck I had was a 93 GMC Sonoma (still have and love it).

First a week after I got it, I was going down the wet road in reverse cause I had just passed my friend and I wanted to go back and talk to him. I got up to about 30 mph, turned the wheel a little much and slammed the back end into the ditch. I rammed the bumper into the back end, bent the frame and slammed the bed of the pickup into the cab, leaving two horizontal dents in the cab level with the bed.

Then two weeks later I almost lose my license for doing 81 in a 50 (real smart).

Then a few months later, I fishtail around a turn on a dirt road, and when I stop spinning my back wheels, I was facing towards the ditch. Of course I ended up in the ditch and then slowly tipped over onto my side. Luckily I stopped there and luckily I had three people in the truck so we were squeezed in there. Of course we all ended up squished in front of the steering wheel and had to climb out the back window. I told my Mom someone hit me at the mall.

After that, someone a$$hole in an 80s camaro decided to park up against the fence sticking out into the entrance at the parking lot at school. I took the turn too sharp and slammed my door into the fence at the entrance. I think I might have told the truth about that one, lol.

I have done more than my share of dumb stuff with my truck. Luckily I haven't done anything like that in my K5, but I'm sure time will provide some good ones soon enough.

13. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

This is why it's always good to carry a glass jar with a bunch of deer hair in it in your trunk. Then, when you do something stupid and hurt the car, you can just spread some hair on the damaged area and complain about that "stupid animal" that you worked so hard to avoid hitting. It's more convincing at night, of course.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

14. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

HAHAHAHAHA, that's funny Blue. My buddy rolled his Toyota truck onto it's side because he was going to fast down a hill. Told Progressive he was swerving to avoid a coyote. You know, the ones that look like your childhood puppy, have the big, brown eyes, and the oh so soft fur....... It worked and he only had to pay the 500 deductable. [​IMG]

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's

15. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

I was about 17 years old and my mother had a brand new Triumph TR7. For obvious reasons, she would never let me drive it. Of course, I took it one day when I figured she wouldn't be home for awhile. I was flying down the expressway at about 120 mph and I passed her with her friend. I didn't see her. I went over to my buddy's place. When I came out the car was gone!! I was freak'in out because mom's pride and joy had disappeared. I went home to break the news to momsy and the car was in the garage. Needless to say I was in S%#T for several weeks, and never stole it again. Pretty funny now though.

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

16. getsome

getsome 1/2 ton status

Many years ago I was at my friends house just bumming around when his parents came home with their new Audi Quattro. It took about two hours of begging befor we got the car. We headed down the mountian to a favorite road that we could open it up on. We were flying down this dirt road at 80mph when it dawned on him that at the end was a 90deg bend. We saw it about the same time and he stomped the break and we slid about a 100ft and into the ditch. I thought he did a good job at not killing us so we backed up took a quick look at the front end and headed down the road. As we were driving we kept hearing this THUMPTHUMP...THUMPTHUMP We both said nothing and I'm sure we looked like the first time your put in the back of a police car. More speed more thump. We stopped under a light to take another look under the car. BOTH TIRES ARE MISSING ABOUT AN INCH OF RUBBER!!! Plain assed flat spotted! We prayed for forgiveness from the god/godess of dumbass teenagers with parents cars and we didn't know it then but our cries were heard. We drove up the mountain and got our stories strait about the Boone&Crocket 344 point scoring buck that had a death wish that we just misses. We told his dad "what happend" and he said that he'd take it back to the dealer in the morning. I stayed the night so that we could compleat the big ass lie we were telling. About 2am we headed out the window and pushed Mike's VW Rabbit down the hill and took off. We needed skid marks. So went went to the place the the phantom buck jumped out and looked for a "safe" place to make the skids. This is getting long so we made the tracks after 8 tries, even putting in a swerve on the final run. His dad takes it to the shop and we hear nothing for about two or three days. Were going nut so we stop by the shop and ask ourselves. The service manager tells us that they shipped the tires back to Goodyear!!!! OH sweet mother of Jesus we were dead. Should I tell my parents that it's been nice but the Goodyear expert found six pounds of gravel in the tire and now Mike's dad is going to kill us, or should we go for the home run? We went for the long ball! About a week later after walking on egg shells the whole time, Mike's dad tells him that he got a call from the dealer and that Goodyear said that the tires were defective and that the steel belts had broken. Ever have a accident with the girlfriend or wife and she tell you that she feels funny and your heart stops, jaw drops, and your knees sound like a loose rocker arm? And all you want to hear is "I started". Well I had just heard the second sweetest words in the world. The moral of the story is: be sneeky.

Getsome