Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bottoming out

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89fullsiz, Mar 28, 2004.

1. 89fullsiz

89fullsiz Registered Member

Hey when going on trails, how big of a deal is it to bottom out? Through the mud I don't think it should be too big of a deal but clay and rocks you hear then scrappin or a metal creaking or clanking sound is a little scary.

Sorry for the stupid questions just don't want to hurt my rig /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Bottom out the suspension or drag gut on the rocks ?

3. 89fullsiz

I think draging would be a better term... I think I got a little crazy my first time out but it was either try and back off the trail or just keep chugging forward. But it was muddy and bumps like one after the other I tried to ride the side of the trail on one side but would slip down into the slop then you could feel everything flexing all over the place. On the bottom rubbing on some stuff. the only thing I think I nailed really good was my trailer hitch and a steep bank i had to go up to get the next trail. It was pretty crazy My adrenilen was flowing a few times...

I Never NAILED anything but I defintaley felt some knocks and stuff.. I may have to go bigger than the 2 inch lift I was planning.

Just wanted to know if this is normal or am I pushing it?

4. Resurrection_Joe

Okay

If you wheel you better get used to banging [darn] all over hell, especially if you get into trails and rocks. Just don't get going to fast and you won't break frames and shatter adapters and whatnot just from articulation and the force of the body moving on the suspension.

Go underneath your truck and look for thigs like low hanging t case, pans, mufflers shafts ect... those are what you don't want to be smacking all over hell. If it makes you go, don't be slamming it into granite. Look into making skidplates/crossmembers/sliders/bellypans.

It's not as bad as I make it soudn though, generally you'll be ok, just dont overdo yourself and don't loose your head. I did and I snapped an axleshaft and took out a fender.

The other thing that can be making noise is your suspension bottoming out. Axles hitting bumpstops or tires hitting fenders. Make sure your suspension can cycle....

Of course keep in mind there are people much more experienced than me

Oh and I'd go 4" lift. 4" and 6" are generally what people run from what I've seen, adjusted with zero rates and shackles.

Oh yeah

STANDARD CHECK FRAME AROUND STEERING BOX FOR CRACKS WARNING

Hahaha, get yourself a frame brace, NOW!

Or learn some mad welding skills and pop in a new crossmember brace with the engine in somehow

5. 89fullsiz

Thanks! The only thing I got really concerned with is a hollow metal clank kinda like a gas tank would sound if you knock it. I'm going to have to see if the tires are hitting somehow...

I was going to do a 2 inch but after yesterday I'm definately doing 4in and going with some 33\13.5\15 baja claws I think... Gotta get some more opinions if this will be a good all around tire. Plus I just like the looks of the wide ones /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Probably MT classic II 15 x 10 rims...

6. 89fullsiz

Where to get the frame brace? How much? I've heard of the problems of the frame near the steering box. Is it a bolt on affair? Easy weld?

7. Resurrection_Joe

If your gas tank is hitting you need to protect that, don't want it to go spilly spilly. I think you mentioned you have a hitch so that should protect it.

You can get the frame brace at ORD (which has a forum on CK5), it's a good piece and goes in with drilling one hole, which already has a pilot hole. I don't know about you, but repairing frame bends/cracks/breaks is NOT something I want to do EVER. I'd swap in or make a new frame first.

A good 4" lift and some 33's is a good combo, especially if you add some drop in lockers (Wrath if you see this post chime in). Add a good set of bumpers and unhook the swaybar and you're good to go. I skipped low level stuff and built my truck beyond my skill. Going to be fun learning when drag it out of my shop.

Tuff Country and BDS seem to be the favored brands of lift on CK5. I run Tuff (Tough?) Country.

Claws are a good tire from what I have heard secondhand, but it seems they wear a bit fast, like any real off road tire and are for some reason not that popular. Payne ran them at one time I know. In his wiener 2wd truck.

Good tire choices IMO are

TSL Radials
    TSL Bias/LTB (rough ride)
    BFG MT (long been an off road standard)
    Goodyear MTR (people rave about it in everything but mud)

Any production 33" radial MT will do you OK though.

MT II rims are knockoffs of some other rim (someone inform me), you can get the same rim from about any manufacturer, I had some AE 589s once, liked them alright.

I like steel rims though, cheap, hammerable, black, and cheap.

Good luck!

8. 89fullsiz

Well only reason I was looking at the claws was the size. BFG's MT are my first choice but the widest they come in is 12.5 and the 11.50's on my truck look kinda skinny to me. ( I run 315's on the back of my TA /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BTW THANKS alot for all the help /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Its a pretty stiff learning curve for me. But after what the truck did yesterday I'm pretty confident in the truck. I don't see myself ever getting wilder than that!

When you say bolt in locker do you mean something like Powertraxx. Is that necesary for both front and rear or just rear? I can get those pretty cheap...

9. Resurrection_Joe

Did I say bolt in locker?

I meant drop in locker. Lockers that are relatively easy to install, actually more of a limited slip.

Like I mentioned I'll see if I can snag Wrath and have him tell all. He's running 4" 33's and front and rear locker/limited slip. He runs lock rights I think. He likes them. He wheels pretty damn hard too. You can just run front OR rear. Most run rear if only running one.

I think a Lockright runs about $200

Oh and my opinion is, after you get your lift and tires on, the best things you can buy are

Winch
    Armour (Bumpers/Skids)
    Lockers

Good luck!

10. Resurrection_Joe

Hey <font color="green">Mudhog</font> is in portland too... probably a few other CK5 members too, see if you can't meet up with one of them

I know <font color="green">Mudhog</font> is a really nice guy from what I have talked to him

11. Resurrection_Joe

Andrew Mathias, ex Marine and gun nut, just informed me that drop in locker/ lunchbox lockers are indeed lockers and do lock

Thank you for the correction you bastard!