Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bought 14blt/d44 while on leave

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by blazenwhip, Aug 18, 2006.

1. blazenwhip

blazenwhip 1/2 ton status

Hey guys. While on leave I picked a 14blt/d44 for 400 bucks. I'm not quite sure how to id the gears though. (I know they're 4. somethin') Anyway, I'll be home from Iraq in a few months and will probablly need some assistance with the swap. Any recomendations on locker set ups?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If the 14bff is open carrier then detroit it. Lockright the front D44.

Harley

3. blazenwhip

Educate me...what do you mean when you say 'open carrier?' It is a FF i know that.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

There are 2 carriers in a 14bff. An open carrier and a Govlock carrier. A detroit locker will drop right in an open carrier. It will not drop in a govlock carrier. A govlock is GM's factory limited slip/locker. They aren't very good at limiting slip or locking. They are pretty much junk especially in smaller axles like 10 bolts. The govlock in the 14bff is somewhat strong but it doesn't lock all that well.

If you have a govlock you will need to swap in an open rear carrier so that the detroit will fit. For the 14bff the Detroit is pretty much king of lockers. They are EASY to install and are strong as heck.

Open carriers have 4 pins and govlock carriers have 3 pins.

Harley

5. blazenwhip

I knew that I didn't have the govlock, but wasn't familiar with what constituted an 'open carrier.' Thanks for the schooling. I dig this site, I learn so much everyday.