Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bought a 1" Body Lift Kit From ORD for My Truck

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1-ton, Sep 2, 2004.

1. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Bought a 1\" Body Lift Kit From ORD for My Truck

UPS delivered it about a week ago. The ORD 6061-T6 aluminum body lift kit is IMHO a far superior product to the standard Nylon body lift kits. I am also waiting for a Daystar polyurethane body mount kit to arrive.

My truck currently has a 4" suspension lift, and with this body lift it will have 5" of lift total. This should be enough room to fit some 35" tires under my truck. The body mounts on my truck are also worn out. The left side of my truck is sagging down almost 3/4 of an inch below the pick-up beds body line because they are so worn out. The new body mounts alone will give me 3/4 of an inch lift Ha...Ha..Ha.

I now have a lot of planning to do on all the modification details, in order to lift the body up 1". I have already modified the fan shroud with 1" spacers. I am also not sure about the automatic trans shift linkage. It appears to only have about 1" of length left, so I might have to modify it as well.

I am going to replace the pick-up bed fuel filler hoses with some new (and slightly longer) hose. I need to make sure the anti-spark ground straps for the fuel filler nozzles are long enough as well. My truck has a fifth-wheel hitch attached to the frame and pick-up bed, and I am going to need to put 1" worth of 9/16 washers on that, in order for it to work with the body lift. I am also going to disconnect much of the wiring harnesses from their hanger clips, so they can extend properly, then I will snap them back in after the body is securely bolted down.

One question I have is with the steering shaft. Is there any modification I am going to need to do with that, or will it telescope out far enough on its own with only a 1" body lift? Does anybody know of any other details I may have missed?

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

Re: Bought a 1\" Body Lift Kit From ORD for My Truck

you sound to have thought it all out there one ton, i think you have it all covered from what i have hurd and see in my truck asking about a 1 inch lift too. the should be enuff play in the stering for a one inch lift that you dont have to extend anything.

let me know iif you had to mod the shift linkige /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

On mine I had enough of the shifter linkage to come on down. As far as the steering shaft I am running a 2wd column and didn't have a problem with it. With a 4wd shaft they have enough play to extend them that short distance. You will like the kit, I have ran mine for a few months now and still have the shiny aluminum showing, just rinse the mud off. FYI, I am running about 7 lift in the front and my 35's still rub the uncut back portion of the front fender at full extension and turning, just to let you know.

James

4. 1-ton

[ QUOTE ]
    FYI, I am running about 7 lift in the front and my 35's still rub the uncut back portion of the front fender at full extension and turning, just to let you know.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I first bought my truck it had a pair of dry rotted 35" (which actually had 75% of their tread left, but they where junk), and they rubbed just a little only when I had the tires turned almost full lock, and hit a bump going at a decent speed; so I figure with the extra 1" of lift, hopefully that should do it. Right know I have a set of 33", and with the current 4" of lift they actually have more room than they need. In fact the 33" tires look too small for my truck.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The steering shaft will telescope out enough to accomodate the extra 1". I also have a 4" suspension lift and installed the ORD BL and Daystar bushings. I trimmed just a wee bit of sheet metal and run 39.5's.../forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Rene

6. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I just did this yesterday but mine was so much easier. I had no wiring in the truck (I have a painless sitting in my living room). No fan shroud right now. I also have an electric fan sitting in my living room. I had no issues with my filler neck hose but I replaced it about 6 months ago with one about an inch longer b/c the old one was cracked and I cant measure. Its measure once and cut as many times as it takes right?? My tranny and T case linkages were fine also. The question I have is the aluminum pucks are about 3/4 to 1 inch smaller in diameter to the body mounts. Will these aluminum pucks wear into the body mounts with excessive flexing or will all be happy? I guess only time will tell. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. 1-ton

[ QUOTE ]
    The question I have is the aluminum pucks are about 3/4 to 1 inch smaller in diameter to the body mounts. Will these aluminum pucks wear into the body mounts with excessive flexing or will all be happy? I guess only time will tell.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am glad you brought this up. I was thinking about the same thing. I may look into setting a washer, which is the same diameter as the body mounts, on top of the body mount, and then set the aluminum puck on top of that. The washer will spread the load across the body mount more evenly. That is, if I can find a washer that is the same diameter as the body mounts. There is a chance that most available washers are the same diameter as the aluminum pucks.

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I been hammering mine for 2 years with no problems. The daystars sure did get the bodly lined back up but do expect extra noise from the drive line and road if you have removed the carpet.

I run 35s with 3.75 inches of total lift in the front from suspension and the 1 inch body. I moved the front axle forward 1 inch and no scurb at all. Stock inner fenders are in factory location. Wheel opening is cut back to it.

9. 1-ton

I just got my new Daystar Polyurethane Body Mounts delivered today. I was looking a little closer at my body mounts, and there appears to be a crush washer on top of the body mounts already...kind of a C-cup (sounds like I am talking about a bra size) looking washer. My guess is that the 6061-T6 aluminum pucks mount on top of these washers.

When it comes to torquing the Polyurethane body mounts down, it almost appears as the body mounts just need to be tightened down enough to crush the mounts to the correct diameter of the crush washers like single eye shock mounts do.